Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ha, the new egg candling machine  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Ha, the new egg candling machine
« on: May 09, 2009, 11:17:37 am »
Yesterday was about day 12 of the incubation process of 100 eggs.  I wanted to candle the eggs, my Husband in tow.  We set up the bee house to be dark, with blankets on the windows, darkness....he built me a candler last year and it worked OK.  We got that ready and began to candle the eggs.  I didn't like the heat that was coming from the light bulb within the candler, so I stopped.  I am that curious natured person and really wanted some good time to examine the egg through the light.  The heat just was not cutting it.  So we stopped.  He asked me if I wanted to get a commercial made one, reluctantly I concurred.  This is an investment that I will have for years, so I am OK with that.

I called a place where I know that they sell poultry supplies and off we went.  Well, shiver me timbers and bust ma britches!!!  If this stinking little candler wasn't $55.00.  I don't think so.  It was basically a little 7 watt light bulb with an electrical cord.  Eeeks!!!  We left.

Now, you may many know, my Husband loves to build and invent things for me.  So, when we got home, he put his mind to work (after we bought a couple of small LED flashlights from KMS Tools).  He came up with the most wonderful design for a candler and this morning we are off to work to make it work.

You will never believe it, he should truly be that inventor of things to make us rich, smiling.  I am thrilled and thank my lucky stars for that day that I married this great dude.  Beautiful days, to love and live, health.  Cindi

The candler can sit wide or narrow side down, depending on what, also with the little screw on the side the light within can be moved up or down, well, rock my socks!!!!  And holy smokin' cadodalhoppers, this little gadget is heavy.  It can sit all on its own with narry a worry about it falling over, just wouldn't happen, it weighs as much as a large can of soup of more.  No clue what he made it out of, and I am not going to ask either, smiling.

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Ha, the new egg candling machine
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 03:52:56 am »
I made my candler like my Grandma used to.  She used a small bucket with a pin hole in the side.  She put the bucket over a coal oil lamp.  Then pulling a blanket over her head she gazed at each eggs with the light shining through the pin hole.

Same principle modern day: 25 watt light bulb mounted inside a tin can with a small hole drilled in the end.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 11:45:18 am »
I made my candler like my Grandma used to.  She used a small bucket with a pin hole in the side.  She put the bucket over a coal oil lamp.  Then pulling a blanket over her head she gazed at each eggs with the light shining through the pin hole.
Same principle modern day: 25 watt light bulb mounted inside a tin can with a small hole drilled in the end.

Well, shiver me timbers and bust ma britches.  That is gotta be one of the most cool things about your Grandma, I love, and I mean I really love to hear what the old timers used to do to make these invention type things.  I could sit and listen for hours of aging men and women, of the things that they made to make their lives do the things that they need to do.  I pictured your dear Grandma, in my mind's eye, sitting in that room all huddled over with the blanket on her head, what a beautiful picture that was, thank you.

That candler worked OK, but I had to cup my hand around the top of it so that no light shone out.  Ken is on an agenda to completely change it for the next time we ever candle.  He had made a candler, but the light bulb got so hot I was worried about the heat on the egg.  I wonder if he had a bulb with the watt too high.  I'll ask him, cause it sure worked like a hot dam!!!.  Beautiful days, to love, live and be grateful for, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 02:53:25 pm »
The wattage is not as important as the light intensity.  A Christmas tree light will work if you're using a small pin hole.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything