Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ivan, the Light Brahma Rooster, Brian Bray, this one is for you!!!  (Read 10708 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Last August as the bee barbeque at Brian Bray's house, I obtained some hatching eggs from him.  These hatched on September 28.  Ivan was the one of the bunch that turned out to be a purebreed Light Brahma.  I admired Brian's roosters and chickens so much, I was thrilled when I saw that I had a pure breed hatch.

Ivan has taken a long time to mature, as does the Brahma breed of chicken.  He has recently began to crow and has now shown interest in the females.  He is 7-1/2 months old.

We deloused the birds in the chickenyards the other day, and my Husband was absolutely shocked at the weight of this bird.  He now towers above his other two rooster friends, smiling, friends is a joke by the way.

He is beautiful.  His crow is rather pathetic yet, it sounds rather sick, but I know that soon his call will be streaming through the air, as the other roosters do.  He is nothing short of majestic and magnificent.  He is my baby that I am so proud of.

He loves to pose for pictures, smiling, you can see how tall he holds his head, how astute he looks, he is a guardian of the chickenyard, my gals are safe and sound, with three roosters watching out for them, narry something above could get past their "eagle" eyes.

Enjoy these pictures of my pride and joy.  And thank you Brian, again and again, for that day we came to your house, for that delightful visit.  Enjoy our lives, to live, love, and be sharing.  Health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Ivan, the Light Brahma Rooster, Brian Bray, this one is for you!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 01:08:13 pm »
He sure looks cuddly and your story about him is very precious. I've told you before, that I want to be a chicken or rooster at your house so you can give me lots of love and attention.

"Here is Annette my wimpy little baby chicken who was born with a defective umbrella on her head,but as you can see in the next photo, she had come full circle and carries that umbrella around like she owns the whole chicken yard" Soon the guys will all be after her and the umbrella. Will have to keep an eye on that little girl"

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 03:56:35 am »
Wait until he has a mature cape and tail feathers and the fine feathers on the back will look like gold doilies.  He still has some growing I have one of his brothers who is weighing in at 10 lbs.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 11:40:28 am »
Brian, whew!!  Ten pounds is a heavy bird.  Yes, Ivan is very slow to mature, the breed.  His incubator brother was crowing and mating about 2 months even before Ivan began to think about anything like that.  I took some good pictures of your chicken critters when we were at your place.  I think you may have seen this picture before, but I'll put it in the thread to show what Ivan will look like when he grows up, smiling.  Beautiful days, to love, live and enjoy, health.  Cindi

Some of Brian's birds, the believe the big Light Brahma rooster in the front is Ivan's daddy, the one at the back is his brother.  He has some very beautiful chickens and roosters (and pigeons, and rabbits, and goat, which is a really stinky dude, and a ram.  Can't remember if you have any ewes?  Tell that to us please.  Elaborate if you have any other species of critters too, smiling, you know me, I need to know.....

By the way, how are all the little poults and chicks doing?  Growing like mad demons I bet, define their growth for me please.

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 12:56:43 pm »
Cindi,
When are you going to feed your baby chicken, see post above Hee Hee

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 03:44:01 pm »
He sure looks cuddly and your story about him is very precious. I've told you before, that I want to be a chicken or rooster at your house so you can give me lots of love and attention.

"Here is Annette my wimpy little baby chicken who was born with a defective umbrella on her head,but as you can see in the next photo, she had come full circle and carries that umbrella around like she owns the whole chicken yard" Soon the guys will all be after her and the umbrella. Will have to keep an eye on that little girl"

Annette, I don't get it, I am rather dumb at some things.  What does the sentence in italics mean?  Did someone say it to you?  And I don't get this, when you responded to my post, when you said "when am I going to feed my baby chick"?  Please elaborate. (actually it sounds like something JP would say to you, hee, hee, smiling).

Oh Annette, you don't have to be a chicken or a rooster to come to my house and be babied, with lots of love and attention.  You could just come up as a human being, I love you just the way you are -- I would love and baby you and give you lots of attention.  That would be my pleasure.  I think that you and I would have a grand time hanging out, too bad that the distance is so vast -- I know that you could never make this trip, it would be a long one and probably quite expensive, but we can dream.....for now, we will have to be friends in our cyber of space.  Beautiful days in our lives, lovin', livin' and sharin' them, health. Cindi

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 04:00:09 pm »
Oh dear, I am sorry I confused you with my warped sense of humor.

I placed in quotes what I think you would say about me if I was a chicken in your home.

I was feeling ignored when you didn't respond to my post so I asked you to respond to the post (feed the chicken)

Does it make sense now???

And thank you so much for your warm and loving response to how you would treat me if I came to you. Perhaps one day, you never know.

Thank you for your kind words
Annette

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 04:13:10 pm »
Oh Annette, I am so sorry that you felt ignored, I would never, ever ignore you intentionally, I just got caught up with some busy-ness and didn't quite understand your "warped sense of humour" smiling, (you said THAT, hee, hee).  I don't think your sense of humour is warped, just a little hard to understand sometimes, smiling.  You are important, special....smiling.

I think that if I were to speak of you in my chickenyard instead of saying:

I would say, lookie at this darling lil' gal, she is my pride and joy, smiling.

Love ya, gal, have that wonderful, most beautiful day, to love and live this great life we all love, health.  Cindi

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 06:49:28 pm »
Happy day to you to my dear :rainbowflower:

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 03:09:07 pm »
I'm still working on the chicken house.  I have tore down the old one and forced the birds into the new one even though we're still building.  The eggs are coming out a lot cleaner in the new nests.

I had to tear down the old chicken house in order to finish the fryer run, the fence went right through the middle of where it stood.  I got it more or less finished yesterday and let the older chicks and turkeys out, It was funny to seem them run around in the outdoors for the 1st time.  4 Turkeys and 18 chicks, Golden Laced Wyndotte and Jersey Giants.  The younger ones are still in the brooder and down to minimum heat, there I have 11 turkeys and 6 Austrolorps.  I'll put them all together next week.

I've had my chicken stuff I ordered arrive in the week:  1 circulating air incubator with egg turner, new hand held candler, mechanical feather plucker, and a 40 quart stock pot for scalding them before running them over the plucker.  I'll soon have a regular butchering line for chickens.  I also bought a couple of stainless steal gloves to keep from loping off fingers instead of drumsticks.

Haven't gotten any ewes yet, I have decided to wait until I get the pasture fenced on both sides of the creek before I do that as it will increase my available pasture by nearly 1/2 acre.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 09:56:09 pm »
Brian, excellent, sounds like you are moving along quite nicely, yay!!!  Won't it be nice when all is said and done and you can relax a little (well, that is probably an understatement, is life every un-busy when one is dealing with birds, smiling).  Your new home for the birds, everything, the pasture for the ewes that I know you will get, it will be nice.  And yes, I agree, I don't have to wash the poop off my eggs anymore, the chickens are having very nicely cleaned eggs for me, smiling.  Keep on keepin' on, friend.  Have that most awesomely great and wonderful day, my wishes for great health.  Cindi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 02:49:33 pm »
So Ivan now has a couple of five month old pullets to call his own.  This will be my breeding trio.  Light Brahma, what a beautiful breed of chicken.  These gals are far larger than the brown layer hens I have, even bigger than their counterparts, the Rhode Island Red.  They are beauties that take my breath away when I look at them, and they make pretty sounds, very different than what I hear my other hens make.  Maybe their voice will change as they mature.  Enjoy the picture.  Have a most awesome and wonderful day, health.  Cindi

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 09:22:36 pm »
Be careful Cindi with those roosters, I hear JP and Mick are planning on coming up to visit you for dinner.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 10:45:20 pm »
Not to worry, I hear roosters are tough! Keep an eye on the chickens and ducks though!  :catchchick: :catchchick: :catchchick:

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 12:38:33 am »
Very nice rooster, don't worry his call will become tuned with a little age.  Nice looking flock.

David

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 09:51:29 am »
Annette, ya, I know, grrrrrr.....now I got two brats to deal with, instead of that JP, only Mick has even further to go through our cyber of space.

Thanks David, yep, I'm gonna grown some pretty nice looking little birds one day.  Ivan's rooster call has become deep.  He is in command of the chickenyard now.  Even the Barred Rock cockeral and Buff Orpington cockeral obey his every move, smiling.  He sends them running as fast as their little legs can carry them.  But they still sneak a little thing now and then.  Beautiful days, to love and live, health.  Cindi