Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What the heck to do the geese and roosters do  (Read 4822 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
What the heck to do the geese and roosters do
« on: March 03, 2007, 10:28:21 am »
I have yet to figure this one out.  5:00 A.M. dark.  The geese were honking and the roosters crowing.  Dawn does not occur yet until 6:00

It is now broken dawn for a half hour or so, still rather dark.  They are still honking and crowing.  What on earth do they do in this darkness that causes them to be so noisy.  This is an every day occurrence.  Any guesses on what they are so noisy?  Are they bringing on the light of day?  Their wake up call?  LOL.  All have a wonderful and great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: What the heck to do the geese and roosters do
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 11:12:37 am »
They are having fun knowing they are annoying you by waking you up from a sound sleep.

;)

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 12:10:40 pm »
They sing the sun up every morning as they have for millennia.  If you stop them, the sun may not come up.  ;)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 02:48:50 pm »
as far as i know, geese are the best "watch-dog" so...you might have had an "intruder"

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 05:10:52 pm »
i'm with Mici.  you probably have something going through at that time of the morning.  that's when i usually have coyotes going through my place.  also when the deer show up in the fall to finish off the apples.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 10:02:35 am »
Well, I surely know the sun will come up.  Not the right answer.  Annoying me, hmm...have to think about that one.  I am up before they are, so they are not waking me up.  An intruder!!!! Yep, bet that is the right one.  We are on a bear, racoon and coyote path.  They traverse the busy ravine alongside our north part of the property.

The fence surrounding the chickenyard is about 10 feet tall and has wiggly chicken wire fence, nothing can climb up, it would surely bend enough that they would not be able to gain a footing and maybe fall off.  We haven't had any problems with this fence, so far, had to find some wood to knock on.

Last night actually, there was a bunch of coyotes in the ravine.  Eeeh gads!!!!  The screaming and yipping that they do gives me the willies right from the tip of my head to the tips of my toes.  It scares me half to death, even though I am in the confines of my home.  I sleep with my bedroom windows wide open (doesn't matter the temperature), I am a fresh air freak.  This haunting emittance of blood curdling noise floats right into my bedroom and wakes me from sleep immediatley.  I listen to them as they meander along the ravine, heading way off to do their thing, whatever it may be. 

I don't think that I will ever be comfortable with the screams that these creatures make.  I have heard that they only make these particular noises after a kill.  But what they have killed is beyond me.  I am sure there is a myriad of small prey around that they are eating up.  Eeeks!!!  I am even getting terrified now thinking about it.  All have an awesome and beautiful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 04:30:11 pm »
They sing the sun up every morning as they have for millennia.  If you stop them, the sun may not come up.  ;)

Michael's got it exactly right.  I love the birdsong morning show.  When I had pine trees in the backyard the crows would shriek the sun up every morning.  My (at the time) husband would go nuts, I thought it was wonderful - then again, I'm a morning person and he definitely wasn't.  My much improved version is also a morning person, so we enjoy the birdsong together.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 12:23:54 am »
Ann, I know what you mean about the morning bird song.  I am a morning person, I love to listen to the morning calls of so many species of bird.

Speaking of the nature call.  I heard a frog croaking last night.  Only one that I could discern, but when I hear one, I know that very soon my entire scope of night sound will be the tree frogs.  It is a wonderful sign of spring and carries on for about 2 months.

Our temperature yesterday rose to about +10 celsius (3:00 P.M.), 50 F.

Now at approximatley 8:00 P.M. it is +8 celsius (46 F).  It is rainy, and it is mild.  The frogs love the rain.  Bring on the spring.  Have a wonderful night and day.  Cindi

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 02:28:10 am »
Don't know why anyone would be afraid of coyotes. I love to listen to them howling. No it doesn't mean they killed something.

http://www.desertusa.com/june96/du_cycot.html

The coyote is one of the few wild animals whose vocalizations are commonly heard. At night coyotes both howl (a high quavering cry) and emit a series of short, high-pitched yips. Howls are used to keep in touch with other coyotes in the area. Sometimes, when it is first heard, the listener may experience a tingling fear of primitive danger, but to the seasoned outdoorsman, the howl of the coyote is truly a song of the West.

* Howling - communication with others in the area. Also, an announcement that “I am here and this is my area. Other males are invited to stay away but females are welcome to follow the sound of my voice. Please answer and let me know where you are so we don't have any unwanted conflicts.”
    * Yelping - a celebration or criticism within a small group of coyotes. Often heard during play among pups or young animals.
    * Bark - The scientific name for coyotes means "Barking dog," Canis latrans. The bark is thought to be a threat display when a coyote is protecting a den or a kill.
    * Huffing - is usually used for calling pups without making a great deal of noise.

Here is one from Cindi's area

http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/wilderness/animals/coyote.htm
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 07:19:22 am »
>* Yelping - a celebration

We always said they were having a party.  Sounds like one.

>I love the birdsong morning show.

They will sing right up until the sun tops the horizon.  Then they will simultaneously get complete quiet.  It's awesome.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 09:39:18 am »
Jerry, thanks for the information.  Very interesting stuff.

I still don't care what you say.  The yipping and noises that I hear them make in my ravine still scare me.  I cannot hear any noises that I could say that I actually enjoy to hear, it gives me the willies.  I would imagine coyote noises are coyote noises.  They are all the same.

Maybe it is because they are in the ravine beside our property.  It is quite deep, mucky, skunk cabbagey, (eeks!!!  the skunk cabbage will be blooming pretty soon, and then comes the stink!!!!), has that little stream running through it and it must be VERY ECHOEY!!!!  the noises that come from these critters in the night time are loud.  Of course with the cool night air comes the crystal clarity of sound travel.  If I were to hear them during the day time like I do at night time, it probably would not stand the hair up on the back of my neck like it does in the middle of the night.

I admire that you guys can enjoy the sounds of the coyotes, I wish that I could feel that way because I love nature and all its inhabitants.  All have the best and wonderful day.  Cindi