Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Inspection  (Read 1954 times)

Offline Beecharmer

• New Bee
Inspection
« on: May 23, 2005, 06:51:01 pm »
I installed my nuc of bees last Tuesday.  I was very nervous, but it went smoothly.  The girls were very gentle.

The guy I bought the bees from said to make sure there was a queen in case she got killed in transport, so I went into the hive Saturday looking for eggs.  Guess what I saw!  THE QUEEN!  :shock:  (I spotted her right always since she had a bright blue dot on her.)   It was so awesome.  There were lots of capped cells, but being a newbie, I wasn't sure if it was brood or what.  My goal was being sure the queen was alive, so I didn't do a complete inspection.  I wish I would have now, because there were two frames that had not been drawn out, then the third one was where I saw the queen.  Now I am wondering if the other frames were drawn out.  I was thinking of going back in in two weeks, but if they are working that fast, maybe I should do it next weekend.  They have been tearing up the sugar water.

I have taken some pictures, but my computer at home got hit by lightning.  When I get it fixed, I will scan them and send them in.
"Outside of a good book, a dog is a man's best friend: and inside a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Offline SherryL

• House Bee
Inspection
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 06:59:04 pm »
Beecharmer,

You should be able to tell if frames are drawn just by removing the outer and inner covers and looking down into the frames without really needing to disturb the bees too much.

Definitely check on them before 2 weeks - I shoot for a week apart.  If I know I'm going to run into a string of wet weather, I'll check on them a day or two early even.  

So happy you spotted your queen - isn't this the greatest hobby!?!

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Inspection
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 09:36:53 pm »
As far as telling what's what in the hive:
- capped honey is sort of see through, a very thin capping
- capped brood is not see through, even if it's in fairly fresh comb it'll be slightly darker (color will be from very light tan to dark/almost black - depending on age of comb)
- pollen is not capped, it can be various colors, and looks like something packed down in cell

The picture above shows one of my center frames during the first year. If you go from the center/lowest area, and move outward towards the corners, this is what it is.....
- capped brood, the raised area is drone cells
- uncapped larvae
- pollen
- capped honey

Beth