Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Harvested today  (Read 2379 times)

Offline gkempf

• New Bee
Harvested today
« on: September 10, 2005, 09:42:30 pm »
I harvested 1 deep super today, ended up with a little over 3 gallons of honey.

When i went to take the top off the hive,i noticed some big ants crawling around, they never got into the super but i am wondering what i should do about them?

Offline stilllearning

• House Bee
Harvested today
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 09:53:38 pm »
install some type of an oil water barrier between the bottom of the hive and the ground  such as placeing legs of hive stand in bucket of water with oil on top to keep the ants out
Wayne Cole

Offline TAH

• New Bee
Harvested today
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 10:09:24 pm »
I bought ant bait traps and put them under boards around the base of the hive and it took care of the ants.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Harvested today
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 10:21:02 pm »
Powder cinnamon is supposed to work.  I have been trying it out for a week, but it's not working so well.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Harvested today
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 03:30:01 am »
We have two types of cinnamin regular and Saigon.  The Saigon was used first accidentally and seemed to attract more than stop the ants.  After brushing and hosing it down we sprinkled regular and it worked great until they found a piece of dried grass that fell across the cinnamin.  Made sure wide and thorough distribution and it worked fine.  

Emphasis on thorough because they will come up from under cinder blocks to get there to the hive.  We also made sure our cinder block holes were parrallell to the ground.  Good luck.  David

If I could build a moat without drowning my bees I would.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Harvested today
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 12:56:29 pm »
I just tried borax and cheap grape jelly mixed half and half.  It was far more effective than the cinnamon I had bee trying.  The ants dissapeard in less than 8 hours.  Totally.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything