Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is it a bad idea to requeen toward the end of the season?  (Read 3451 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Is it a bad idea to requeen toward the end of the season?
« on: March 11, 2011, 06:52:46 pm »
I'm going to go in to the end of the season with 22 hives... all of those, bar one, are from swarms, cutouts etc... the one that i did know the origins of the queen swarmed during the season sadly and although she still has some of her mums qualities her offspring run all over th frames during inspection and are a little 'warm'. I've assessed them and some are good producers but hot, others are quiet but haven't produced - i'm contemplating re-queening all of my hives with carniolan X italians which i had in my first hive and she was an amazing queen! quiet, awesome producer, rapid build up in spring etc etc. I also am considering using my hives for almond pollination so need an early build up etc. I'm going to be breaking all of my three and four stack hives down in to doubles (i was going to take a final extraction but after assessment i'm going to have to forego that and distirbute the honey i do have amongst my hives so they have enough stocks going in to winter). I was going to enter winter with doubles and put them on the almonds as doubles... I'm also thinking about re-queening. Is it too late? is it a good thing going in to winter with new young queens? pros & cons?

Thanks for your advice

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Is it a bad idea to requeen toward the end of the season?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 10:19:24 am »
It is a fine idea to send them into winter with a young queen raring to go next spring.  Brother Adam always said they do their best work the second year.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 07:20:48 pm »
Awesome - 23 queens are now on order!

It is a fine idea to send them into winter with a young queen raring to go next spring.  Brother Adam always said they do their best work the second year.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 11:01:41 pm »
And 23 Queens survived the winter and were accepted!  :-D