Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: No Eggs And No Grubs??  (Read 7840 times)

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
No Eggs And No Grubs??
« on: March 09, 2012, 05:32:41 pm »
Hi fellow beekeepers,
                            Apon inspection of one of my hives yesterday I noticed there was no eggs or grubs present, the queen was still there
there was no honey stores at all in the hive, i thought how well behaved the girls were but now im thinking they are possibly weak.

Im thinking that the site has not enough to keep them going and that the queen has stopped laying because of this,i decided to feed them
some syrup to see what happens, What do you guys think? do you think i am on the right track and doing the right thing by feeding them?
re Neil

Offline jelder

• New Bee
Re: No Eggs And No Grubs??
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 12:22:39 am »
giving them a feed of syrup probably would not hurt.  my hive just had the same sort of problem but it was obvious that ant had gotten into the hive and robbed everything, eggs, nectar etc, i have now go my swarm on a stand in tins with oil moats around the legs.
whut!

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 12:37:42 am »
is there plenty of pollen and bloom around where you are? :?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 12:44:27 am »
When they are out of feed they will consume their own brood. Feeding them is definitely a step in the right direction. Do you have other hives? Give them feed & a frame of brood if you can spare it. If she is failing they will build queen cells if the hive is strong enough. She may start laying in available cells on that frame if she's still in decent shape. Do everything you can & leave them alone for about four days then go in and evaluate any progress.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 07:57:42 am »
When they are out of feed they will consume their own brood. Feeding them is definitely a step in the right direction. Do you have other hives? Give them feed & a frame of brood if you can spare it. If she is failing they will build queen cells if the hive is strong enough. She may start laying in available cells on that frame if she's still in decent shape. Do everything you can & leave them alone for about four days then go in and evaluate any progress.

...JP

Ill try and answer all question in one post.

Dont see much in flower where they are, it was a new spot i was trying out.

The hive was requeened this year with a golden italian, now there is a big black queen living in there, so shed have to be young.

I have another new site to check out on the weekend apparently there is plenty in flower there, possibly grey box, id say might be a good idea to move them to the new site if it checks out?

Aparrently the bees are a lot more active now after the feed of syrup.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 07:55:24 pm »
G'day Rawfind,

Where are you located?

One thing you could try is make up some 2:1 syrup - take out some empty frames and pour the syrup over the frames both sides and replace the frames in to the hive. If your brood nest and your cluster has shrunk then re-arrange the frames so that the brood nest and cluster are consolidated and put the syrup frames on the outside of the brood nest. Put an empty frame dead centre of the hive to give the queen room to lay... hopefully there should be enough pollen around the existing brood nest to keep them going otherwise put a pollen patty in there

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 08:32:58 pm »
Is pollen coming in ??? Bees need pollen to have brood.You may need to feed both pollen and syrup.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 08:47:48 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 01:05:04 am »
>there was no honey stores at all in the hive

That would certainly lead to no brood and soon it will lead to no bees.

>do you think i am on the right track and doing the right thing by feeding them?

You would definitely be on the wrong track if you don't feed them...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 03:21:17 pm »
>there was no honey stores at all in the hive

That would certainly lead to no brood and soon it will lead to no bees.

>do you think i am on the right track and doing the right thing by feeding them?

You would definitely be on the wrong track if you don't feed them...

I havnt been back up to take a look at them since the feed but i have someone watching them and he rekons that their activity has really picked up now(since feeding them), last night he told me that he saw a lot of bees bringing in pollen, so id say at a guess that she has started laying again, apparently there is some banksia come into flower up there not sure how good that is for nectar but i still think i will move them on the weekend to the new site which looks promising.

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 03:26:47 pm »
G'day Rawfind,

Where are you located?

One thing you could try is make up some 2:1 syrup - t

In Wallan, we have spoken on the phone Dan, its me Neil we both got our carnie hives from Keith,

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 06:46:24 am »
Hi fellow beekeepers,
                            Apon inspection of one of my hives yesterday I noticed there was no eggs or grubs present, the queen was still there
there was no honey stores at all in the hive, i thought how well behaved the girls were but now im thinking they are possibly weak.

an update on that hive,,   Had a look today to see how they are going, they have filled nectar on most of the frames in the bottom box,
there is pollen stored there too, i also saw the queen although she looks shorter than when i last sighted her, there is no brood or eggs at all in the box, so im not sure what is happening, maybe

1 the queen died so  im looking at a new queen that hasn't matured.
2 The queen has stopped laying in preparation of winter?                                                                            
3 a new queen that hasn't mated?  can there be no drones in area due to time of year?

Should i be trying to re-queen this have with a mated queen?  im not worried about food as they seem to have plenty not all of it is capped but
nearly 8 frames should be enough?

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 01:30:46 am »
My gut feeling is option #2 mate - leave it and see what happens

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 09:41:48 am »
<2.The queen has stopped laying in preparation of winter?>   

I say yes
Leave at for the winter and see what happens.

<nearly 8 frames should be enough?>

This enough in Boston MA. USA

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 05:30:39 am »

Thanks ghuys, yep rekon that mAkes the most sense, will still keep an eye out if we get a warm day here or there.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 08:29:45 am »

Thanks ghuys, yep rekon that mAkes the most sense, will still keep an eye out if we get a warm day here or there.

Hint If you open a hive at costs the bees to eat more honey.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 03:57:12 pm »

[/quote]

Hint If you open a hive at costs the bees to eat more honey.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
[/quote]

Hell i must have opened those hives way too much as i didnt get much honey this year !

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 06:23:05 pm »
Grubs ? That's what I call small larva, but everyone at Bud4 looked at me strange when I called them that.  :lau:

Maybe I need to move to Australia.  :-D

Larry

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 04:11:16 pm »
Grubs ? That's what I call small larva, but everyone at Bud4 looked at me strange when I called them that.  :lau:

Maybe I need to move to Australia.  :-D

Larry

Dunno Larry i call them both grubs and larvae, whatever rolls off the tongue easier at the time, i think grubs rolls off quicker, but then again i often call my bees "guys" when im checking them, when really they are girls. 

Eg: "cmon guys move out of the way "