Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: More than I can chew!  (Read 11721 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: More than I can chew!
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 08:54:55 am »
Thanks, Kathy     Although I had human diseases in mind, the way it was posted. I guess one horse disease would qualify. Of course, house cats and others also seem to be riding in the same boat.

>>>>Recently, S. neurona sarcocysts have been identified in the muscles of cats, raccoons, armadillos, sea otters and skunks. Recent studies from Michigan and Florida have reported  S. neurona antibodies in 5% of domestic cats. A subsequent study has confirmed domestic cats to be natural carriers of this parasite (Stanek et al., 2003).<<<<
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 10:50:55 am »
probably not something that anyone would know unless they had horses.  i had never heard of it until a few years ago when some horses in our area were sick with it.  since, it has either gotten more attention, or is better diagnosed.  it's not uncommon.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 06:24:41 pm »
Philinacoma, just a suggestion, but what about a hessian bag with a strong draw string? rope the possum box up,pry it off the tree, when it's hanging in mid air leave it for a little while so that the disturbed bees return to the box. Then after a little time slip the hessian bag over the box and pull the drawstring tight. Throw another rope over the branch and attach that to the now closed hessian bag and lower away... the hessian bag should be strong enough to take the weight of the possum box and, if you need to put it in the car, the hessian bag should contain them.

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 08:17:02 pm »
Phil:

I took down a similar hive that was in an owl nest box up a phone pole.  I smoked 'em up good and used duct tape to seal the gaps in the wood and then plugged the hole with a big sponge.  It expanded nicely to seal the entrance without cutting off the air to them.  I put the box on my shoulder and climbed down the ladder.  Piece of cake.  I stood it up in the bed of my truck inside the rungs of my folding ladder and drove the 30 miles to my house without a single escapee.  I posted some pics of it awhile back--can't remember what I called the posting, though.  :?

Kelly
Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 07:39:17 am »
The duct tape may not be helpfull in this case as there is at least one big comnb on the outside of the box. I think the hessian bag would be a goer though. Someone else suggested shade cloth and a staple gun, but I think a sack already to go would be quicker and easier, thanks. I think I'll do that one if the lady gives me a call back.

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 01:24:34 am »
hi
    the chaff bag is a a good bag.i heard that they make good swarm bag.get good air flow through it

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 06:54:59 pm »
I've learned more off this post than I care to admit.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2010, 08:40:42 am »
Learning new things is always a good thing.