Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How much do you sell a pound of honey for in your area?  (Read 34211 times)

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
Re: How much do you sell a pound of honey for in your area?
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009, 12:16:12 am »
I am not even sure I will have surplus this year, but this is a very informative thread.  I sure as heck hope I have surplus.  If I do, I would agree that it should fetch a good price.  I don't want to part with the amazing sweetness for chump change.  LOL  Great info.  Thanks for starting it, and giving input to all. 

"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2009, 01:29:05 pm »
$4 PER POUND TO FRUIT STAND, $5 A POUND DIRECT TO CUSTOMERS IN SOUTH EAST LOUISIANA.
BEEN THINKING OF GOING UP A LITTLE TOO.

BAILEY
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2009, 05:21:22 pm »
I cannot even share with you all how much I am selling my honey for.  I get very little of it, so it is very precious to me.  I sell it to the  members of the Yoga Center where I keep my bees.  I give the yoga center the proceeds as a donation.  I keep very little for myself.

But I sell it in beautiful bottles with beautiful labels and I can get whatever I want for it.  That just how I feel about it.  I work hard for it, the bees gather the flowers at the yoga center, I don't use any chemicals in the hive.  The members feel it is very pure and very fresh and pay top dollar for it.

Of course if I was getting lots and lots of it, I would lower the price.

Offline beemused

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2009, 12:23:45 am »
I have been very busy with cutouts and 2 colonies had the lightest and best honey I have ever found. Got 9 gallons or more from the two. Gave the homeowners some and have sold all I had for $7.50 a lb raw and screened only with customers wanting more. Hope my hives are as exceptional as those. I have no yards within 15 miles of the cutouts.

Bruce
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2009, 12:35:57 am »
Last year I sold mine for $4 / pound and sales were good. This year I increased my price to $5 / pound. Sales are just as good.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline gguidester

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2009, 01:18:32 am »
I sell mine for $3.75 a half pint, $7.00 for a pint.  I do give $0.50 per jar on next purchase if its for sure my jar w/lid label intact.  I have customers waiting for this years harvest.  One more month to go!!  Things are looking good!   

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2009, 01:54:24 am »
I ask $10/ lb. But I'm organic only. No chemicals, treatments, etc.
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2009, 10:29:57 am »
$5 for a half lb and $8 for a pound. Seems to be about the going rate around here.
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2009, 12:20:10 pm »
$5.25 a lb in this area
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline TwoBigCats

• New Bee
    • TwoBigCats
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2009, 01:18:05 pm »
glad to see people are finding this revived thread of use *and* updating it with current info.

hal

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2009, 03:05:54 pm »
"But I sell it in beautiful bottles with beautiful labels and I can get whatever I want for it."

Where do you buy your bottles and labels?  I have about 100 mason jars that I will use to sell to friends and family, but wondered what people do when they sell to the general public.  If I have surplus, it will only be sold direct. 
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2009, 03:55:26 pm »
5.00  a lb, bears are 4.50. I only had 75lbs last year so it didn't matter much, gave a lot away to family and freinds, they came back begging for more. This year is for selling. In no way do I beleive in cutting the price so bad that you sell more than the next guy. Prices should be even across the board, like said above, its a premium honey, pure right from the extracter. That in itslef should get a slightly higer price. Sellin it for a buck a pound. Pfffft.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2009, 12:09:02 am »
Glad to hear that honey is getting good prices! It's a shame when people sell a quality, local, fresh product for a pittance.  :'(

Does anybody do comb honey? I'm also wondering about quarts jars of honey with a comb chunk floating in it. What should that sell for?

Does anybody (grandmadog?) distinguish between organic honey (as in, hives in the middle of miles of organic territory) versus organic beekeeping (as in, no chemical treatments, foundation, etc.) when trying to price their honey?
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2009, 12:37:08 am »
Qt. mason jars with single piece plastic tops for $18.50.  That's 3.5 pounds honey. 

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2009, 12:37:22 am »
"But I sell it in beautiful bottles with beautiful labels and I can get whatever I want for it."

Where do you buy your bottles and labels?  I have about 100 mason jars that I will use to sell to friends and family, but wondered what people do when they sell to the general public.  If I have surplus, it will only be sold direct. 

The labels are made from "onlinelabels.com", but I downloaded my own design.  The bottles are the hexagon bottles, 4 oz size and I can't remember where I purchased them from but you can get them from almost any bottle company.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2009, 12:38:53 am »
"Does anybody (grandmadog?) distinguish between organic honey (as in, hives in the middle of miles of organic territory) versus organic beekeeping (as in, no chemical treatments, foundation, etc.) when trying to price their honey?"

I never say my honey is organic, but I do say it is chemical free.

Offline Chick

• New Bee
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2009, 06:16:18 am »
Honey weighs 1# per 12 fluid oz, so 1 quart weighs 3#. The guys around here have been getting $4 a quart (Southeast Texas), which sounds too cheap to me, for sure. I emailed Honey Solutions in Baytown, and they do buy from locals, but he never shot me a price.

Offline mlewis48

• House Bee
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2009, 07:38:58 am »
 Lite amber honey sells for 5.00 a pound here and there is no problem getting rid of it. Pint jar with some comb in it sells for 7.50, 8 oz bears- 3.00, and 12 oz bears 4.00. I stay away from the quart jars, too much weight goes out and not enough money comes back in.
                                      Marc
" Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get"

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2009, 11:00:09 am »
Previously I sold for $6.50 per pint.  Sold like hot cakes.  I didn't sell anything yet this year.  I will probably keep those prices.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2009, 11:03:01 am »
"I never say my honey is organic, but I do say it is chemical free."

Would I be able to say mine is chemical free?  I use foundation, but no chemicals whatsoever.  My goal was to be able to say that, but I happened to think...I don't know about the foundation.  

If I can say that, I plan to sell for a decent price.  I think quality is paramount, but the aesthetics of the packaging will be essential.  I gotta get an attractive label and settle on some great jars, but inexpensive jars.

Crossing my fingers for a good surplus.....  :-D  

anything