Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When to add second Deep?  (Read 2974 times)

Offline Greg watkevich

• House Bee
When to add second Deep?
« on: June 08, 2010, 06:55:43 pm »
Currently both of my new hives have seven frames drawn 1/2 way down and 3 frames to the bottom.  When is it best to add the second deep?  I don't see any drone comb.  What are the consequences if the second deep is added to early?  I don't want to create a problem if they fill up all the frames and my timing is wrong.
Greg Watkevich 

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
Re: When to add second Deep?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 07:07:21 pm »
normal rule of thumb is to add second deep when they have 8 of ten frames drawn in 1st deep
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline Klepto Kangaroo

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 09:37:23 pm »
i follow the same little rule as riverrat...except i usually put my second on after 7 or so...but 8 is just one more so it's pretty much the same thing

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 09:56:09 pm »
what happens if you dont follow these rules?

Offline Klepto Kangaroo

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 10:40:55 pm »
well if you put it on too early...nothing really...you just run the risk of the frames or super becoming damaged...plus it might make it a little harder on the bees to maintain the temperature needed...but that problem will go away over time. if you put it on too late however...you run the risk of your hive swarming for they'll eventually become to crowded and be forced to leave

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 10:41:51 pm »
The world as you know it will change for the worse............................Or  SHB may move in that new opened up space with empty supers upstairs.   Don't give them the room to hide in.

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 10:43:25 pm »
Not much happens at all. A small group of very large beeks will show up at your door and just slap you around a little. It's only after the second violation that they drag out the waterboard. The purpose of the guidelines (not rules) is to help you get your hives prepared for the coming winter by allowing the bees to build up drawn comb for honey storage and brood. If you add the next box early the bees are likely to move up and not draw out the remaining frames in the lower box. Plus, they may not be expanded, number-wise, enough to handle extra empty space.  It's your call!

Offline Shep1478

• House Bee
    • Appalachian Weather and Webcams
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 11:30:05 pm »
Beeing a newbee here I'm following every thread I can to help me along..

I am getting closer to having to add the second deep. Since everything above is new including frames, should I continue to feed 1:1 mix to ensure they'll draw out the new frames?

Thanks!

Jim
Jim Sheppard
Dahlonega, Ga. 30533  
www.appalachian-weather.com

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 12:38:43 am »
i follow the same little rule as riverrat...except i usually put my second on after 7 or so...but 8 is just one more so it's pretty much the same thing

Well you caught me on that one to be honest i let it get to 8 then move a frame of open brood up into the 2nd deep to help get the bees started so i actually only have 7 in the bottom one :-D
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 05:27:10 am »
>what happens if you dont follow these rules?

They swarm.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 09:30:18 am »
so they will swarm with to much room?

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 09:47:38 am »
I would add a second hive body when 7 or 8 frames are drawn out. Put one drawn frame in the upper box to entice them to move up. Also feed them if no nectar is flowing so they draw out the frames. I didn't feed and lost a swarm with a new queen because they didn't draw out the upper box and got too crowded in the lower one.

anything