Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: newbie question  (Read 5884 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: newbie question
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 07:37:00 am »
JP,
As far as moving the top forward,I think he was refering to tre telescoping top. Most inner covers have a small notch in front that you open or close with the outer cover when you slide it forward or back.

Offline foxman

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2009, 03:37:38 pm »
thanks buzzbee that is what i meant, as for proping up the top do i use shims or what?
thanks to all who have posted your info is great and appreciated,thanks for putting up w/ my inexperience
The most dangerous ideas are not those in which we disagree but those in which we all agree upon

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2009, 07:54:31 pm »
Twigs work great for props.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 12:03:35 pm »
an unasked question is the only stupid one... I think you picked a great location for the hives......
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline foxman

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 01:12:26 pm »
thanks but now i have a new problem the bees in hive #2 are gone!!!    help mee!!!
The most dangerous ideas are not those in which we disagree but those in which we all agree upon

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 11:11:47 pm »
When you have bees hanging on the front of the hive like that in warm weather, feeder in place, and entrance reducer set at the smallest setting you create a traffic jam for the foraging bees coming an going to the hive.  You need to open the entrance to at least the next largest setting.

I do not use entrance feeders and the only place I use entrance reducers is for the top entrance/vent.  I have bottomless hives and use the old reversable bottom boards for migratory tops.

If you hive absconded it sounds like they didn't like the digs.  An overly hot (temp wise) hive (packge or swarm) will abscond if not settled in with brood.

Ways to correct an stuffy hive is through the use of slatted racks, vented tops, and/or screened bottom boards.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline foxman

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 11:57:13 am »
thanks brian but why would they leave the one hive for the other with an equally small reducer?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2009, 02:30:42 pm »
thanks brian but why would they leave the one hive for the other with an equally small reducer?

Queen loss and no eggs to grow another.  Swarms and packages will do that, established hives won't, they'll go laying worker.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!