Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: another stray dog in my chickens  (Read 17718 times)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
another stray dog in my chickens
« on: March 27, 2008, 09:29:21 am »
Yesterday afternoon my neighbor called me telling me he had just chased a dog that was killing my chickens.  I grabbed my rifle and ran up to the barn but the dog was gone.  I have about 60 layers.  Feathers were everywhere but I could only find a half a doz birds, one dead and two bitten badly and a few in good shape that were hiding.  I started walking and found them hiding all over the place alittle raddled but unharmed.  I got in my truck and started driving into  my back fields and found them hiding up to a 1/8 mile away.  The sheriff came out and took a report.  Today I'll get with animal control and my township supervisor.  Last year almost to the day two stray huskies killed my whole flock.  At that time someone told me something that the local government didn't want everyone to know.  Because we have a dog ordiance (they must be lic.) that the country would pay for stock damage if the owner of the dog could not be found.  I was told this is a 100 year old law. I check and it was true they replaced all my dead birds

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: another stray dog in my chickens
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 09:51:03 am »
Yesterday afternoon my neighbor called me telling me he had just chased a dog that was killing my chickens.  I grabbed my rifle and ran up to the barn but the dog was gone.  I have about 60 layers.  Feathers were everywhere but I could only find a half a doz birds, one dead and two bitten badly and a few in good shape that were hiding.  I started walking and found them hiding all over the place alittle raddled but unharmed.  I got in my truck and started driving into  my back fields and found them hiding up to a 1/8 mile away.  The sheriff came out and took a report.  Today I'll get with animal control and my township supervisor.  Last year almost to the day two stray huskies killed my whole flock.  At that time someone told me something that the local government didn't want everyone to know.  Because we have a dog ordiance (they must be lic.) that the country would pay for stock damage if the owner of the dog could not be found.  I was told this is a 100 year old law. I check and it was true they replaced all my dead birds

Danno, man that sucks about the chickens that bought it. Great they will be replacing your chuickens. Those some mean dogs, what did those chickens ever do to them, nothing. Animals can be such beasts sometimes, I know they are beasts to begin with, well, you know what I mean. Sick the falcons on them!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 11:53:15 pm »
Hey Danno,
That was a lucky break about getting paid for the chickens , I mean.
 A dog got into my chicken coop and killed all my chickens except 2...Just killed 'em, not for dinner or anything..I gave the last to to my nabor Paul and havent had chickens since.
your friend,
john

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 02:08:41 am »
i know how you feel.  i had dogs chasing my horses and another neighbors dogs eating my barn cats.  calling animal control was about useless.  one neighbor was good about it when i talked to him.  the other was a real jerk and we had problems for years.  once dogs start doing that, there isn't much of a cure for it except a well placed round. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline prisoner#1

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 05:28:19 am »
if the owner cant be compelled to keep his dogs under control, it may be the only option

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 05:59:43 am »
Here there are good photos to finish with the problem. I have used it and it is "Saint Hand", 100% efective.

round lazo

cable de embrague de moto: motorcycle clutch wire: steel wire. The wire must not shine, so it has to be a pair of weeks in water.

alambre dúctil 25 cm.: malleable wire 25 cm.

anilla: ring. To make the ring with the steel wire you have to get hot the end.

Prisionero: prisoner .It´s a top, limit, to take the fox or dog alive. I don´t use it. (It´s complicated).

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 06:21:16 am »
more inteligible lace

This is in English and doesn´t take prisoners.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 09:10:20 am »
I have been a fox and coyote  trapper since 1970 and started useing snares in the early 80s.  They are a k9 nightmare but my barnyard setup wouldn't work.  I use 220 conibares baited in square buckets.  The problem catching dogs is there aren't there for food.  They never eat what they kill.  the birds are just playtoys.  This whole thing did give me a idea.  My chicken door is about 20" high and the chicken only need about 12.  I'm going to loosely staple a snare over the upper 1/3.  This wont help the birds out in the yard but both times I had dog attacks they went in the hen house 

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 11:15:34 am »
we used to use snares to trap rabbits.  :-).  that was fun.  the good old days before the PETA folks. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 11:22:15 am »
electric fences work for me...then I don't have to worry when I'm not around.
http://www.premier1supplies.com/fencing.php?mode=detail&fence_id=96

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 12:29:38 pm »
Sometimes I feel bad for the dogs, they are only doing what dogs do..it's the owners....I've even captured the dog & taken it to the police station saying I found it in the highway...the owners bailed it out & it was back the next week...If you use the SSS method they don't return.  ;) The snares would work though if you can't catch it in the act....We are now in the process of trapping a racoon..little bugger knocked one of my guinnea's off the branch (20ft in the air) at night...I went out to see what the rucus was & the Ba^%$!* had the balls to puff & stand up growling @ me, in MY own yard with the blood of MY pet..I ran in for my pal HK but it wouldn't come out where we could "chat"..I'm sure it's the same one that has gotten my chix...new chix house is going to be varmint proof, w hotwire & anything else I can think of..it picked a bad day to piss me off as my coffee maker had quit & my mare died that morning.... :-x I havn't decided, swimming lessons or animal control to come get it...guess it depends on how soon I get another coffee maker....Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 12:52:47 pm »
A year and a half ago I was at an Army leadership school when my wife called in hysterics that a neighbor (0.5 miles away), dog had gotten into my fenced chicken run (with the help of my 5 year old son) and killed two of my chickens before they got him out of there.

This is the second flock that he had gone after. The same dog wiped out my buddy's flock (save one that he gave me only to be taken by a Cooper's Hawk two weeks later). Shortly after my experience, the dog was found out in a different farmers' pasture. It had killed two sheep (!). The farmer took his rifle out of the truck and shot it dead on sight.

Sometimes that's all you can do. These same neighbors now have two new dogs, but have an invisible shock fence up. They don't leave the property. Not even when I go running by their house. Seems to be working great.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 02:33:10 pm »
I agree with poka-bee.  If you put 100 dogs in a flock of chickens 99 will just be dogs.  Its the owner that has the problem. Problem is owners are protected so I have no choice but to take it out on there pets

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 04:04:15 pm »
Sometimes I feel bad for the dogs, they are only doing what dogs do..it's the owners....I've even captured the dog & taken it to the police station saying I found it in the highway...the owners bailed it out & it was back the next week...If you use the SSS method they don't return.  ;) The snares would work though if you can't catch it in the act....We are now in the process of trapping a racoon..little bugger knocked one of my guinnea's off the branch (20ft in the air) at night...I went out to see what the rucus was & the Ba^%$!* had the balls to puff & stand up growling @ me, in MY own yard with the blood of MY pet..I ran in for my pal HK but it wouldn't come out where we could "chat"..I'm sure it's the same one that has gotten my chix...new chix house is going to be varmint proof, w hotwire & anything else I can think of..it picked a bad day to piss me off as my coffee maker had quit & my mare died that morning.... :-x I havn't decided, swimming lessons or animal control to come get it...guess it depends on how soon I get another coffee maker....Jody
Whew!  Glad I'm not planning on being anywhere near Buckly, WA anytime soon!!!
 :-P
Rick

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 04:51:45 pm »
Bring me coffee & be nice to my animals & you'll be fine!  :roll: really!! :evil:

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 10:21:52 pm »
poka-bee, i believe we might be related!!!   :-D

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 11:38:22 am »
Danno, that is simply a hideous travesty.  I can't stand that!!!!  And it leaves me speechless, and the stories that our forum friends have put forth here make me wince.  So many bad deeds that happen to humans and their livestock.  Eeeks!!!!  Bugs the crap out of me, to say no more.  I have had that stock kill, overnight 10 dead, 2 alive, some think it was a coyote or neighbourhood dog, but by the size of the entry point through the wire, I am still of the belief it must have been a weasel type vermin.  Disgusting......

Poka-Bee, I do think you and Kathy might be related, and I think you are related to me too, so is Kathy and a few other girls here too, hee, hee.  So Jody, tell me, what happened to your mare?  That must have bummed you out terribly, start a new thread about it if you so chose, we don't want to go off topic with Danno's stuff about his losses in his chickenyard.  (I have a story to tell about dogs and the loss of a foal too), so start a thread, girl.  Have a beautiful and wonderful day, lovin' our lives we live.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline the kid

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 02:19:53 pm »
the dogs around here that are kept in the house and let out to run for hours ,,  have a hadit of eating somthing that some how gets mixed with a half cup of     epsen salt ....  I dont know how that would happen   :?  ....    but by the time the owner knows what is happening its allover   :shock: (  both ways  its all over the house  and already happened  :'()  some take the hint but others it happens to off and on for five years ..  :roll:
tuna makes it real stinky... ;)
I dont know how I know that they eat stuff with epsen salt in it , good guess :-X???
the kid

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 07:49:44 pm »
 :evil: :evil:OOOhh, Kid, I like your style! I have some...& tuna for cats from Trader Joes!  The neighbors I don't like keep letting their Sharpei (sp?) out & it booga booga's my pigeons..WAAHAHAHAHAOOOO That does bring a smile to my face!! :-D  Jody

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 08:39:22 am »
poka-bee
I have heard they also really enjoy sponges soaked in gravy

anything