Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: putting my hives in the shed for the winter  (Read 1598 times)

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
putting my hives in the shed for the winter
« on: September 06, 2007, 10:02:22 am »
This is a crazy question but, I currently have a 10x12 size shed.  I dont currently have a door on it.  I have a two foot gap on the tops of the front and back that I havent paneled yet.  I was thinking of putting the hives in the shed they have the in and out access with the top of the shed and not having a door on it.  I am planning on putting three hives in there or maybe one just to experiment.  This hive is also about 8 1/2 to 9 feet tall.  What do you guys think? :? :?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: putting my hives in the shed for the winter
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 10:34:03 am »
Although it might provide protection from the bitter cold,  I think being shaded from the sun is worse.  Without the heat from the sun,  they will stay at a colder average temperature than being left outside and will move around and fly less.

I had a similar issue with keeping nucs in my basement.  They would not fly in the early Spring like the rest of my hives, because they wouldn't get warm enough during the short warm periods.

Just my 2 cents...
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
Re: putting my hives in the shed for the winter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 01:17:41 pm »
I didnt think of that, plus I guess it would be damp in there as well