Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Don't use Apiguard  (Read 12768 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Re: Don't use Apiguard
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2007, 08:32:34 pm »
Thanks MB, I think I am understanding the transition better now...I will sit with it, and I am sure more questions will pop in...

I value your opinion and your generousity in sharing your knowledge AND your patience...

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2007, 08:09:42 pm »
HSC is pretty instantaneous and actually adding a box of them this time of year and feeding might get them filled with capped stores.  But I probably wouldn't get too agressive with feeding them into the brood nest.  You could feed them one at a time and see what happens.

Feed them one at a time?  I do not understand this.  I have one brood deep and one brood super ( which had an excluder between the 2, which I removed 9-1-07...

If I buy HSC...where do I place the HSC frames?  Do I replace one frame at a time in each box?

Sorry for my ignorance...

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2007, 09:51:29 pm »
>Do I replace one frame at a time in each box?

Yes.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2007, 12:34:00 am »
This time of year the bees that are still drawing comb are building something more like drone comb--I call it storage comb.  I think they transition to that size comb for the benefit of putting more honey in the same hole.  Less cells they have to open.  They are also starting to back fill the brood comb.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2007, 07:56:09 am »
A full box of empty HSC could also be added on top.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2007, 09:07:43 am »
HSC is pretty instantaneous and actually adding a box of them this time of year and feeding might get them filled with capped stores.  But I probably wouldn't get too agressive with feeding them into the brood nest.  You could feed them one at a time and see what happens.

Feed them one at a time?  I do not understand this.  I have one brood deep and one brood super ( which had an excluder between the 2, which I removed 9-1-07...

If I buy HSC...where do I place the HSC frames?  Do I replace one frame at a time in each box?

Sorry for my ignorance...

If your going to go the HSC route,  I have found that a gradual transition doesn't work well,  you need to go all or nothing.  Here is what I found to work best.
1.  Place a queen excluder on the bottom board,  them an full super of HSC and move the queen into this super. 
2. Then another queen excluder on top of that followed by deep with any brood from the large cell frames.
3. After a couple of days, check to see if the queen is laying in the HSC and if she is, remove the queen excluder from the bottom board. 
4. Once the brood has hatched out of the large cell, remove it and add the other deep of HSC.
5. Feed, Feed, Feed.  If you feed before removing the large cell,  don't over feed as they will just pack it away in the large cell.  Just make sure they have enough food to survive until you can remove the large cell.  Any that they do store on the large cell you can let them rob out once you remove it.

I have 4 hives that I moved to HSC and this method has worked best.  If you don't force the queen to lay in the HSC, she will keep laying in the large cell and ignore the HSC and you will continue to make large cell bees.  So feeding 1 HSC frame at a time just forces the queen down to a smaller laying area on the wax.  I guess eventually she may move to HSC,  but it is not going to happen until the majority of the frames are HSC.

I also sprayed the HSC with sugar water, but I'm not sure that helped or not,  I have since stop doing that.

When she first starts to lay in the HSC,  the pattern is pretty sporadic as she hunts around for acceptable cells.  But as time goes on, and more and more cells are used, the HSC is accepted well.  Here is a picture of a HSC frame that has gone thru a few brooding cycles and you can see the pattern is quite nice.

The nice thing about HSC, is you don't have to rely on the bees drawing comb to do the transition, so timing and weather conditions are less of an issue than when using starter strips.  With HSC, the queen can continue to lay without a long period of interruption,  so you continue to get a flow of new bees.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2007, 10:14:25 am »
Robo
I tried the all or nothing approach that you describe and it failed although it was my fault.

I thought I had the queen in the HSC deep but apparently I did not. 

I reduced this one back down to a single deep and will try again later.  Finding the queen is the hardest part. 

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2007, 10:49:25 am »
Okay, why don't you all come out to te California Coast, and help me do all this so I don't screw it up...I'll cook a great meal...and drive you around the sites...hahaha

Whoa...

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2007, 07:42:14 am »
I'd put one frame of open brood in with the queen.  Otherwise they often abandon her and raise another one instead.
-------------------