Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My first trapped swarm  (Read 2762 times)

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
My first trapped swarm
« on: March 14, 2012, 11:07:42 pm »
I set out 2 swarm traps, one in my yard and one in my neighbor, Jim's yard. On Sunday we thought they swarmed out of the Squirrel box hive that I received late last year on a swarm call in November. There were hundreds of bees in the air but no ball formed. There were bees all crowded at the entrance to the swarm trap in Jim's yard but when we checked it after dark it was empty. On Monday they did the same thing to the swarm trap in my yard but again when we checked it that night it was empty. We never did see a swarm hanging any where but a large mass of bees would come out of the hive and spin around and then large numbers would land on the traps and go in. We thought we had lost the swarms. My father in law told me there was a good chance that all we saw was the scouts checking them out. On Tuesday when I came home from work, Jim and I went back and checked on the Squirrel hive. It looked a little quieter than usual but was still rather busy. The swarm trap in my yard was empty. We walked ofer to Jim's yard and imeaditely saw a large beard hanging on it. Below are a couple of videos that I took of it. The first on was taken with my I phone and you will have to turn up the volume to max to here it. The other 2 were taken with my new camera. I hope you enjoy them.
Jim
Swarm 3

Bee Swarming
Bee Swarm 2
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 01:02:51 pm by Robo »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rufus

• New Bee
Re: My first trapped swarm
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 01:13:46 am »
Congrats!

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 01:30:07 am »
nice catch jim.         
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 01:46:07 am »
Good one! Thanks for posting.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 12:52:08 pm »
COOL!

Offline Country Heart

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 02:53:59 pm »
Nice

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 10:06:52 pm »
Sweet.

Offline Dragan

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 12:27:39 pm »
Thanks for posting your videos.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 12:29:17 pm »
Thanks all, they are still in the 6 frame nuc trap. The second day they were so active that I thought they were being robbed. I'm pretty sure it was massive orientation flights. Is that normal?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything