Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Royal Jelly lifespan  (Read 6200 times)

Offline psbeekeeper

• House Bee
Royal Jelly lifespan
« on: August 23, 2010, 12:00:33 am »
How long can will royal jelly keep if kept refrigerated?  Will it ever go bad?

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Royal Jelly lifespan
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 05:40:13 am »
Not refrigerated it will keep a very long time.  It will gel bu it really doesn't go bad.  I used to collect it for priming queen cups.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesqueenrearingsimplified.htm#c6

" J.W. George of El Centro, California, gave to the beekeeping fraternity a valuable little kink when he explained that royal jelly can be bottled and kept in perfect condition from one season to another. I have practiced this to advantage, and find one of the great difficulties of queen-rearing is thereby removed.

"If you have no royal jelly on hand, a colony may be made queenless until they build queen-cells, when you can get the jelly from them. After the first grafting, some of the jelly in a few cells you have produced may be used; but, in this way you continually destroy good queen cells.

"As a container for royal jelly, I use a small porcelain jar with a screw cap. A piece of waxed cardboard in the cover makes it air-tight. Let me offer a suggestion as to where you can get one of these jars. Make a raid on your wife's manicuring outfit, and, if luck is with you, you will find one of these jars. To be sure that luck will be with you, better do it when she is out. This jar usually has some pink dope in it. Take this out, put it into a tin can, present it to your wife with your compliments and make off with the jar. Thoroughly sterilize this jar by boiling, for the bees seem to object to the funny smell that comes with it. If your wife does not have this, or if you do not have a wife, you can go to the drug store and find just the size and style that suit you. The dope looks as though it might be of use if you put it into the grease cups of your flivver, but I do not want to suggest too many dangerous experiments for you to try all at once. For a jelly spoon, I prefer to make one out of the bone handle of a toothbrush, which also may be found in the manicuring outfit. Break off the brush and whittle down the small end until it fits nicely into a worker-cell. This jelly spoon and the jelly jar are to be carried in the pocket of your trousers or dress, whichever you wear. While working with your bees during the season you will be running across colonies that have royal jelly to spare. Whenever a swarm issues, just take out the jar and spoon and get the royal jelly. I have found that I come across enough in my regular work so that I never have to make any special hunt for jelly. It is well to have two of these jars; keep one in your pocket and the other in the grafting room. "--Jay Smith, Queen Rearing Simplified Chapter 6
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline psbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 08:06:11 pm »
Very interesting.... You can buy it from glory bee but it is shipped frozen.  Should that matter at all?

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 01:27:58 am »
Frozen should be fine.  I don't prime cups anymore and Jay Smith gave it up and wrote about the futility of it in "Better Queens".
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin