Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Eeewe, slugs and propolis  (Read 9478 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Eeewe, slugs and propolis
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 10:18:13 am »
When I lived in Indiana we had lots of slugs crawling around the yard, sidewalks, and on the side of the house. Just pour a little salt on them and watch the slime start pouring off of them. They will die within minutes after a little salt.

Lots of people put out little containers of beer for slugs, it works. The salt is like acid to a slug, kinda ewey!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 12:38:21 pm »
 They will die within minutes after a little salt.
[/quote]

Lots of people put out little containers of beer for slugs, it works. The salt is like acid to a slug, kinda ewey!

...JP
[/quote]

It's surprising how many slugs can slime their way out of the salt, seen it many times. They just produce copious amounts of the slime where the salt is (like a tent) & crawl out!  It's also not good for the grass & plants & sometimes leaves marks on the deck or sidewalk..They are also not easy to set on fire  :-x!! I don't like to use slug bait either as there are so many animals  both mine & wild.  The "slug taverns" work the best, albeit icky when full.  I find the small ones dried up by the entrances of the hives where the bees drug em out..apparently the stings help them mummify?
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline gottabee

• House Bee
  • Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler.
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 07:54:01 pm »
Cindi,
Your "Slugfest" is funny stuff. What a hoot.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 11:13:29 am »
Hmmm.....slugs, slugs, slugs.  You won't believe what I do to the slugs when I see them.  Now living in this rainforest that we do in my neck of the woods, slugs are prolific.  We have the teeny tiny slugs all the way up to the big banana slugs, which are at their maturity, probably no less than 6 inches long, are yellow and most often have some black spots on them.  When Brendhan and Janel were here, I took them down to the deep dark ravine, which runs alongside the southern part of our property.  It is about 15 feet below the regular ground level and has a little creek that runs through it, and a great trail that leads down there, rather slippery, but a great trail regardless.  This is a marvelous place to spend time.  The kids around here will surely tell you tales of their experiences down there, so many things to do....including crawdad fishing.  They have a zip swing that runs from one side to the other and a couple of tire swings too, I have posted pictures of some of the swings before, some of you may remember.  Eeeks....I am ramblin', going off topic, but oh brother, as you know, that be me.

Now where was I?  Right Brendhan and Janel and I down in the ravine.  I was telling them about the size of the banana slugs, and Janel with her bird's eye vision, sighted one and asked me if this was one.  It was indeed one, but it was not of the maturity that they can get to, it was only about 3 inches long.  So, she has borne witness to a banana slug.  Eeeks, no clue why I had to tell this little tale, it just came to my mind.  So......have a most wonderful day, love your life you live, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline gottabee

• House Bee
  • Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler.
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2008, 10:47:44 pm »
H-u-u-u-m-m. Well, did you know that the banana slug was the official mascot of the University of Calafornia, Santa Cruz? Nothing says team spirit like SAMMY THE SLUG!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2008, 11:12:21 pm »
This story of the propolized slug is so, so funny I just loved it. Also I just love JP's post about it completing you.  Very funny stuff when Cindi and Jp get going.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 10:29:18 am »
Annette, me and JP, well, what more can I say........so glad that brings a smile to your face, it does mine too!!  There are others on our forum that are teasers too, I bet that makes ya have a great smile too, funnnnneeeeee, gotta love this thing called love, I love my forum friends, and love is a beautiful thing..... :) :) :)  Beautiful day in this great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service