Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SBB  (Read 2428 times)

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
SBB
« on: September 28, 2006, 01:49:27 pm »
I'm fitting all my hives with slatted racks and SBB boards.  

Do you leave the SBB open all year or do you use a sliding panel below it to close it off in the winter to cut down on drafts...?  

It seems drafts would be an issue since almost the entire bottom of the of the BB would be open....I'm just not sure but I want to do it right the first time.   Thanks.

Steve in SC

Offline NCBee

• New Bee
Some do, depending on climate
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 06:08:11 pm »
I have seen some posts on beesource that indicate some beekeepers keep them in year round.  I know of one in Charleston WV that leaves his in all the time, and has no problem with overwintering.  I plan to leave mine in as well.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
SBB
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 06:53:17 pm »
Leaving the SBB open year around is not a problem.  If you like a hive to a hot air balloon you will see that the warm air is retained within and any cool air will drop out of the bottom.  Likewise wind can blow across the bottom and only pull the lower cooler air out of the hive a lilttle at a time.  The bees can replace such a minor heat lot easily. If you want or think you need an additional thermal layer at the bottom of the hive use a slatted rack.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline NCBee

• New Bee
That is my plan
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 10:07:18 pm »
I plan to use a slatted rack on the hives.  Guess we will see.