Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Communal feeding, don't do it this way!!!!!  (Read 6550 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Communal feeding, don't do it this way!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 08:26:13 pm »
Jimmy, yep, you must have been feeding all the neighbouring bees, what a great little story you told.  That would scare me off outside feeding too.  I have not had any issues with robbing bees.  I only know of two beekeepers in about a 5 km radius of my place, maybe even further than that.  Both these beeekeepers that I know only keep two colonies and 5 colonies each, so there is not a huge population of bees (unless there are wild colonies). I am not sure if we have feral honeybees up here or not, I don't think they would live the winter.  There could be summer swarms though living places that may die in winter.  Don't know.

MrILoveTheAnts.  We have similar feeders (gravity feed) for some of the chicken areas.  They sound like your pop bottle feeders, but of course hold a substantial amount more.  Those feeders do sound coool.  I wonder if they sell them still too.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day in our great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Communal feeding, don't do it this way!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 09:30:32 pm »
Jiminy's story is exactly why I use a 1 gallon can for my communal feeder as well as inside the hive feeder.  Setting up the can gives limited access, puttin it up side down on a board or stand mimics the position of many flowers.  I do not have problems with feeding frenzies when feeding 1 gallon containers that way.  To the bees it's just a flower with lots of nectar.

The U.S. Army went to using comaflouged BDU's instead of the trandition olive drab for better hiding.  If you mimic nature you experience less problems.  Communal feeding can be done successfully if done right, and it does provide a safety valve for those hives that are being fed directly so they aren't robbed.  Done poorly comunity feeding can create a robbing frenzy.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!