Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Building Coates 5 Frame nucs from available 3/8 ply  (Read 5346 times)

Offline yrots

• New Bee
Building Coates 5 Frame nucs from available 3/8 ply
« on: November 24, 2012, 12:43:19 pm »
Would there be any compelling reason not to build the Coats 5 Frame nucs from 3/8 plywood I have laying around? I could always make the front and back from 3/4 solid wood or plywood I also have for rigidity. Also to modify the dimensions for medium frames I calculate that I reduce the height 3" ( 9 5/8 - 6 5/8 = 3)?

Dirk
Dirk

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Building Coates 5 Frame nucs from available 3/8 ply
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 03:57:40 pm »
3/8” plywood for the sides will work fine.  Drew was just making it easier to make these things without a dado blade by using the thicker plywood.  The thicker plywood makes for simple frame rails.  No sawing or dado needed.

Only real problem with plywood is it warps easily, especially the less plys you have.  I’m sure you already know this.  Going with solid ends is a good idea for rigidity.  The medium frames are 6 ¼” deep.  Ideally you want to leave a bee space on top of the frames and under the frames for the bees to crawl around in.  Bee space is typically quoted at 3/8”, I use 9mm.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 06:23:51 pm »
With the bottom attached, I make my medium nucs 7 1/2 deep now. What happens when you have a queen cell on the bottom of the frame you want to put in there.

Offline Dave360

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 09:32:14 pm »
I have made several dcoats  nucs from 3/8" cdx they have worked fine made some deeps but most mediums only adjustment I made was bottom size still enough of frame rest to hang on but I live in mild climate also I paint edges with tite bond III then 2 coats priner and 2 coats gloss white latex enamel

David   

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 07:34:03 pm »
I make all mine out of 3/8.  Like everyone says, it tends to warp.  One box I have was bowed in so that the outside frames were "honeycombed" to the wall.  The reason is, I like to use these as swarm traps and they're easier to carry through the fields and forest.

Here's the sketchup I use.
http://capnchkn.no-ip.org/sketchup/dcoates5fdeepnuc-inch.skp
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline derekm

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 08:28:44 am »
Would there be any compelling reason not to build the Coats 5 Frame nucs from 3/8 plywood I have laying around? I could always make the front and back from 3/4 solid wood or plywood I also have for rigidity. Also to modify the dimensions for medium frames I calculate that I reduce the height 3" ( 9 5/8 - 6 5/8 = 3)?

Dirk
You're in Florida ..so heat gain is likely to be problem. Why not kill the rigidity bird at the same time and glue some  1" to 2" styrofoam onthe outside of the plywood. That will make the ply stiffer (yes it will!) and keep the bees an environment easier for them to control come cold or heat.
If they increased energy bill for your home by a factor of 4.5 would you consider that cruel? If so why are you doing that to your bees?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 02:32:17 pm »
I’m never one to pass up a good insulated foam nuc, but the beauty of DCoates design is the low cost and quick build time.  You can whip these things together in no time and if you’re using them for swarm traps, quantity might trump thermal quality. 

What we need is a foam version of the DCoates concept:  something QUICK to build, low cost, and relatively durable.  That combination of qualities still eludes my adventures in foam.  Hmmmm…. Now you have me thinking again  :)

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 01:16:56 am »
Well I see I didn't read carefully enough.  I have also done a medium in the 3/8 exterior sheath, and here is the sketchup I did for that:

http://capnchkn.no-ip.org/sketchup/dcoates5fmednuc.skp

I was thinking maybe to cover the exterior with some styrofoam, but haven't had the need yet.  One cool thing about these nucs is you can stack them, assuming attached bottoms, with the entrances staggered front back.  The touching sides and bottoms of the boxes will insulate each other, and I tried to make measurements so I could put a telescoping cover on top.

One problem, top ventilation.  I've also placed vents on the sides of some, they get in the way more than do the job, and placed in the ends will just expose your fingers to nervous bees.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

anything