Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: few beekeepers under 50  (Read 33110 times)

Offline Sir Stungalot

• House Bee
Re: few beekeepers under 50
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2008, 09:56:40 am »
Sean, you just made me spit coffee all over my screen and make wee-wee in my pants! A bee junkie...sad thing is that the track marks on my arms are actually just bee stings.
I had a visual of me in a couple of years on a gurney, all strapped down, head flailing back and forth sreaming "PLEASE!!! JUST ONE MORE FIX!"  You know, kinda' all Brittney Spears-ish.....

Offline super dave

• House Bee
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2008, 10:03:22 am »
just turned 37 --and i have two hives--one bought and one caught
lets throw it in the air and see which  way it splatters

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2008, 10:05:30 am »
J' mob.  Welcome to our forum, of course you can chime in.  We love to have new forum members.  You are going to love this place, a friendly and great environment, as you probably have already noticed.  Chime in any time, ask questions, tell us what things you are up to, and welcome.  Have a wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Carriage House Farm

• House Bee
    • Carriage House Farm
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2008, 11:11:49 am »
This will be my first year and I am 37.

I do not think I would have had the patience when I was younger.  I just recently married and my wife and I are adopting.  That ALSO was not something I would have done a decade ago.

Now I want to REALLY live life and to me, that means a solid relationship with my wife, a kid or two to teach and raise and share life with the the two of us, a solid business and sharing it all with friends and family.

Personally, I think this is a great time to start.

That said, our bee club has a 10 year old in it that has been keeping bees since he was 7.

Ultimately, I think our population matures a older age and is 90% urban (maybe higher) and is not exposed to stuff like this, be it beekeeping, produce gardening, tapping maple syrup, animal husbandry, working on mechanical devices, hiking and camping.  All if it contributes to things like we are discussing here (which is not bad, it is what it is, times change and always will).

I hope my kids will want to get involved in beekeeping or shooting or farming.  But if one of them wants to become a social worker and the other a computer game designer, that's cool too.
Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2008, 11:40:07 am »
53 here....

An ole' beekeeper passed away suddenly a few yrs. ago and his widow asked me if I'd take some of his hives so they wouldn't be neglected and die.  Not knowing anything about beekeeping I managed to get 5 of the 30 hives to my place.  From those 5 hives a few yrs. ago I'll have about 28 hives this spring... 

The older we get I think the more we want to do something worth while with what time we have left - we want to leave our mark.  Beekeeping is a very worth while hobby, it helps us all.  When you're at a younger age you tend to think more for the moment ( there are exceptions to that ) and be a bit more selfish toward mankind in general.

The ole' beekeeper made his mark with me - another beekeeper was born from his work. We all should be so fortunate.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2008, 02:06:12 pm »
I'm 33.
Interesting question to start out with.  I think that the bee clubs (at least in my experience) tend to have a larger turn out of older folks, whereas a internet forum will be skewed toward the younger demographics.

The beekeeper I bought my first hive from was 87.  I don't think that he'd know what to do with a computer.

Our local club is a smaller, informal affair at the president's house, outside, and there seem to be a lot of old guys there.  If I remember correctly, one year they had it at the city library, nice facilities, and there was a little more diversity.  So venue probably plays a role in that.

Rick
Rick

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2008, 02:49:43 pm »
Whew!!! That one took a while to read through...... I agree with most of all that was said. I am 38 this year and just starting out. My interest was born from wanting my children to have some things other than the norm to do. So this last year (07) we got chicks, quail, bees etc. Looking forward to raising kids,,, They are 13, 9, & 4, Girl, Boy, Girl. Some folks out here ask why I all of sudden started raising animals and I answer "well I just realized that I have to start raising kids". Been to involved with work and other stuff to realize it until now. What better way to raise the young'uns than with the animals. So "There you go"!!!!
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline SystemShark

• House Bee
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2008, 03:44:26 pm »
I've been interested in beekeeping for at least the past two years but as I don't have my own house yet I havn't been able to get my first hives yet. I'm 23 now; and  I have no quams with the beekeeping people I talk to being all 50+ - it makes for some akward conversation tho... only thing we got in common is bees.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2008, 03:52:30 pm »
Shark, ask them what they like to do besides keep bees and you'd be surprised. And then listen. Also, ask them if they like to fish, bet they do.

......JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2008, 05:31:48 pm »
I had a visual of me in a couple of years on a gurney, all strapped down, head flailing back and forth sreaming "PLEASE!!! JUST ONE MORE FIX!"  You know, kinda' all Brittney Spears-ish.....

HAHA!  Or sitting in a cardboard box in a back alley with a Nuc hive, wrapping surgical tubing around your arm with your teeth, trying to find a vein so you can get another fix of Apitherapy... while heating up a spoonful of honey with a bic lighter!  HAHAHAHA

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline acbs

• House Bee
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2008, 06:15:06 pm »
56 now, 52 when my wife (a few years younger) and I started.  Never did have any interest in keeping bees or any contact with them or beekeepers. 

Our age was really what got us interested.  We'd seen the need to start living in a healthier way and, among other things, had started using honey.  A lot of honey.  Figured if we were going to be spending money on honey we might as well get a hive and have our own and save money.  More research suggested we start with 2.  We decided on 2 nucs of Russians 4 years ago and, uh... well... most of you know how that goes--went into this winter with 39. 

As far as saving money by not having to buy honey...uh..:roll:..uh....boy, I've never so thoroughly enjoyed anything as much as I do having and working with our bees.  That, too, is a health benefit all of its own!!

Arvin & Colleen

« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 04:28:25 pm by acbs »
If I know how many hives I've got, I haven't got enough.
Unknown

Offline octoquatic

• New Bee
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2008, 10:31:59 pm »
I don't keep bees but I'm diffidently interested (17) I just found out about bee keeping earlier today thanks to the wonderful world of the internet. A few hours of reading has me over my bee phobia and eager to start up a hive. Of course Iv got a lot of research left though, and something tells me my parents wont like the idea. Their still recovering from my venture to keep an octopus :evil:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2008, 10:44:30 pm »
That is too cool of you to keep an octopus!!! Talk with your parents and answer any concerns they may have, tell them you want to join a local beekeeper's club. You can probably get someone to mentor you in the club. Your parents want you to be safe, let them know you will use protective gear. There are worse things you could be doing than keeping bees and having a pet octopus. If I had a kid I would want him to have your hobbies. Good luck and best wishes. You are welcome here, and may ask any questions you like.

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Amanda

• New Bee
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2008, 11:16:55 pm »
I've been interested in keeping bees since I was really little.  I think I read a book about someone who had bees.  This will be my first year, though.  I got my hives and equipment this Thursday!(Thanks to everyone who answered my questions on my other post)  I'm so excited!  I am 17, but as my birthday is this Saturday, I will be 18 before I actually get my first bees.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2008, 12:40:18 am »
Fantastic Amanda! Good luck to you and your bees, you have found a great website where you will learn a lot about bees and other things and make some good friends along the way. Best wishes.

......JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2008, 09:07:40 am »
Octoquatic.  Welcome, see what has happened....you started to read about the bees, and now you are hooked.  We are all hooked.....especially Sean Kellly. Do you hear what he is up to with all his addictive stuff with the bees, picture him, it will make you laugh!!!!!  He sounds like the worsely addicted  :-X 8-) ;) :) :)

Really, welcome to our forum.  This is a wonderful place to spend lots and lots of time (and believe me, you will!!!!), the time is quality time, a really great family friendly forum.

I think that this is one of the coolest threads ever started (Dane Bramage has one that really got everyone going too, and so has John, in Greetings/Tell us About Yourself).  The antics that people go through to keep bees, the stories that people tell, one could spend a lifetime here, reading, listening and learning.  This we all do, and you will too.  Remember Octoquatic, ask any questions you want, all questions deserve great answers, and that you will get, have a wonderful and greatest of days.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2008, 10:17:15 am »
Good topic.  I started when I was 33 years old.  Both my sons (13 & 11) are thinking about doing beekeeping.  My little helper.  More like a nephew (is actually close friends of ours) has an 11 year old that helps me alot.  In fact he helped yesterday without a suit and was stung 3 times for his efforts.  I asked him yesterday after he was stung if he wants to become a beekeeper.  He said probably.  He said the stings aren't so bad.  Wasps are much worse.  I have to agree with him.

He is used to be pricked anyway.  Poor lad has type 1 diabetes and has to shoot up insulin 3-4 times per day.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2008, 06:27:10 pm »

He is used to be pricked anyway.  Poor lad has type 1 diabetes and has to shoot up insulin 3-4 times per day.

Apitherapy works for that too.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline achunter

• House Bee
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2008, 08:37:00 pm »
im 16 n im gettin 2 hives goin this year

Offline deltacornbread

• New Bee
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2008, 10:07:48 pm »
Started about ten years ago. 50 now. Guy at work was a beekeeper and helped me get started. :-D