Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: call of the day :-)  (Read 5415 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
call of the day :-)
« on: June 21, 2012, 04:56:25 pm »
bless his little heart  :evil:

posted this because it reminded me to be sure to ask ALL the questions!!

-is this kathy

yes

-do you remove bees?

yes

-i work at the DQ and there's a swarm of bees and they keep coming in the window.  they are up in a tree.  they are just hanging there (first clue)

ok, how high in the tree are they?

-about 30 feet.

well, that's a little high for me.  how long have they been there?  honeybee swarms usually only stay for a couple of days and then they move on to a new home.  can you wait a few days to see if they move?

-there's a hive up there

(alarm bells)  what does the hive look like?

-it's brown and round and about the size of a basketball...maybe bigger.

:-D those aren't honeybees.  they are wasps.  you'll need and exterminator, and you do want to get that taken care of as soon as you can.

-ohhh....ok....

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
Re: call of the day :-)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 12:37:07 am »
And you didn't just run right over there and take care of the "bees" for them? You might have gotten a free shake.... :bee:

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 01:13:46 am »
my lips would have been swollen shut  :-)  thing is, the swarm calls have been skimpy and if he'd said they are 10 ft up, i might have quite asking questions and gone over.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 03:29:58 pm »
If I may add my call of the day that occurred yesterday when I returned a call:

Do you remove bees?

Yes, I do, are they honeybees?

Yes, their nest is right beside the garage in a bush.

Can you describe the bees and their nest for me?

Theyre black bees with white colored heads and their nest is a big round grey thing.

Those are bald faced hornets and I dont remove those -only honeybees.

Well, what am I supposed to do with them? I called the Orkin man but he wanted money to remove them.

Buy you a can of spray and good luck to ya.

So you dont want them?

At that point, which has been a summarized 15 minute conversation, my cell phone mysteriously lost service.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 07:16:59 pm »
 :cheer:

i really try to be patient with people, but sometimes.....

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 08:40:15 pm »
If I may add my call of the day that occurred yesterday when I returned a call:

Do you remove bees?

Yes, I do, are they honeybees?

Yes, their nest is right beside the garage in a bush.

Can you describe the bees and their nest for me?

Theyre black bees with white colored heads and their nest is a big round grey thing.

Those are bald faced hornets and I dont remove those -only honeybees.

Well, what am I supposed to do with them? I called the Orkin man but he wanted money to remove them.
Buy you a can of spray and good luck to ya.

So you dont want them?

At that point, which has been a summarized 15 minute conversation, my cell phone mysteriously lost service.

Who say I do not want MONEY to remove honeybees?

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 07:35:51 am »
Bees aren't the only species I remove, the wasps and hornets are right up my alley.

Yesterday's call.

"Do you charge to come out and kill a snake?"
"No maam, I do not charge to kill a snake because I will not kill a snake!"
"So there is no charge to come get the snake?"
"Yes maam,  there is a charge to come get the snake. I do not kill snakes, I catch them alive and safely release them elsewhere. I will not kill them."
"Nevermind"
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 09:43:35 am »
You might ask these callers sometime what they do for a living, then ask them if they would provide their services for free. Bet in most cases you would get a resounding nuh uh!

Okay, I had one two days ago.

Caller: I had some bees inside my eave and vacuumed them out. The queen must still be in there because I'm still seeing some bees. Would you like to come and get her?

Me: When did all this occur?

Caller: Its been a few weeks now.

Me: So how many bees do you think you've vacuumed out?

Caller: About a thousand. I don't want to kill them though.

Me: What did you do with them?

Caller: I took them down the street and let them go.

Me: Did you use some type of bee vac?

Caller: What's that? I used a shop vac.

Me: You likely killed them you know and without a queen they are likely doomed even if they do survive.

Caller: They seemed fine when I dumped them out.

Me: The majority of the colony is still in your eave, likely many thousands more.

Caller: Really?

Me: Yes, really!

Caller: I'll call you if I'm still seeing them after I try to deal with them again.

Me: Good bye

Lord, please help me!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 10:54:00 am »
hey, he might have watched one of the beemaster videos and got the idea to vac them out  :evil:

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 12:58:45 am »
Interesting that you got this call. Just 2 days ago I received a call from a homeowner telling me honeybees were hanging off a manzanita bush in the backyard. Said they were going in and out of a big gray ball. OK I told her they are hornets and to call the pest control company.

She did not believe me and said they were honey bees. I told her if the pest control people say they are honey bees, then she should call me back. She never called me back.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 10:38:46 am »
I told her if the pest control people say they are honey bees, then she should call me back. She never called me back.

good response!!
____

check this out:  the cell phone rang at 2145 last night.  i answered because NO ONE who knows me would call that late unless something really, really (and it better be really) bad had happened. 

the gruff voiced man asked if i was Kathy P____?  i said yes, sure it was a cop or something telling me something bad had happened. 

it was a fellow beekeeper who wanted to chat about cutouts!!!!  he'd gotten my name off the internet and just flippin wanted to chat!!!
i asked him if he knew what time it was?  he said "oh, it's not even 10. were yo sleeping?"

then he carried on about vacuums, etc.....

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 10:56:13 am »
You should have turned him onto the swarm at the DQ!!
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 11:10:20 am »
LOL.  that's a good idea, but i wasn't thinking to clearly.

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 12:30:51 pm »
I told her if the pest control people say they are honey bees, then she should call me back. She never called me back.

good response!!
____

check this out:  the cell phone rang at 2145 last night.  i answered because NO ONE who knows me would call that late unless something really, really (and it better be really) bad had happened. 

the gruff voiced man asked if i was Kathy P____?  i said yes, sure it was a cop or something telling me something bad had happened. 

it was a fellow beekeeper who wanted to chat about cutouts!!!!  he'd gotten my name off the internet and just flippin wanted to chat!!!
i asked him if he knew what time it was?  he said "oh, it's not even 10. were yo sleeping?"

then he carried on about vacuums, etc.....

So, what you're saying is, don't call after  21:00? ....LOL
I love those odd ball calls, sometimes.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 01:00:31 pm »
if i had been smart, i would have called him back at 0530 when i got up.  oh....it's light out.  you aren't up yet??

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 01:27:58 pm »
LOL that is what I would tell my daughters little friends when thy would call late at night, that I would have them to call them back when they got up in the morning......0500

the response would always be "but I'm still in the bed"

my reply "well that's where I was when you just called"
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 09:30:37 am »
I had a call Saturday from a young mother just frantic about the number of bees she was seeing in a bush by her front door. Can't go in or out of her house for fear of getting stung. I figured she had a swarm in the bush, but she wouldn't get close enough to really confirm to me what she was seeing, so being the nice guy I am (following schawee's examples) I go ahead and drive 30 miles to find out that her "Rose of Sharon" bush was just in full bloom and all she was seeing was foragers gathering nectar!  :lau: :lau: :lau:

Not sure who's the dumber one  :embarassed:

Offline Boom Buzz

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 10:10:14 am »
Okay, I'm probably not the smartest one in the room, but I deal with the wasp and yellow jacket calls a little differently.  Had one last week as well.  The lady said she had bees in the eaves of her home and that after re-roofing, the bees were flying into her home.  She had already been "stung" a couple of times.  This sounded legit enough that I went to take a look.  Turns out they were some kind of wasp.  So I set up the shop vac (no bee box), suited up and started poking the nest.  Out they came ready to defend their nest.  I just sat on a stool and sucked them up as they came out.  Just wish I had a beer in the other hand (it was hot)!  When they slowed down a little I poked some more.  The nest was tucked up in the wall but I was able to use a little pry bar to destroy and vacuum it up from the seem in the wall. 

One hour vacuuming and $150 bucks later I was on my way.  Even took care of three more little wasp nests out on the deck.  I didn't take home bees that day but at least I got paid for the call.  Not bad pay for an hour of easy work!  This is the third time I've done this - dealt with the YJs/wasps for a few bucks!   :-D

John