Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: GMO from the beginning......  (Read 6134 times)

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
Re: GMO from the beginning......
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 07:02:27 pm »
Some new developments on the GMO front:

'Monsanto Protection Act' called 'outrageous,' dangerous

'Monsanto Protection Act': Activists have claimed Monsanto's GMO crops are harmful.

[

This piece of legislation enables Monsanto to plant and grow GMO crops to either prove or to disprove their safety without having to spend millions in legal fees or spend decades in a court room in order to perform scientific research. 

So it appears that the anti side of the GMO argument are the ones who oppose research into the safety of GMO crops.  I suspect that they are afraid honest research will undermind their anti GMO agenda. 

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 07:56:24 pm »
I do not treat "activists" claims as sound scientific proof.
The more noise made with "activist" claims being touted as proof,the less I hear.I think anyone betting the whole of bee problems on GMO products are doing serious harm to the effort to solve this problem. Has Europe been magically cured and now in the bee export business where gmo's have been banned and are used no longer?
And I also think people need to realize that as population increases farmers need to produce more to feed these people. Heirloom varities are okay for the home gardener,but down they work well for wholesale feeding of the population. Another demand on corn acreage is the enviromental push for ethanol so at some point you have corn to ffed beef and other animals that people eat or corn to fuel cars. The same ear of corn will not do both.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 11:08:14 pm »
everyone wants to point fingers at gmo's and neonicntinoids as they dump pesticides directly into their hives to control mites and beetles.  peta thinks it's wrong to catch a fish but they have no opinion about abortion.  people call spanking and circumcision child abuse but they don't consider abortion murder.  an awful lot of people live in convenient realities.  i can google any topic and find "studies" that will support either side of the issue.  i also doubt very few people that like to cry about "big businesses" making profits wake up and say "i'm going to go to work to make less today!".  i'm on the fence on gmo's for the record but i'm with buzzbee on claims made by obviously biased people on either side.    

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 11:53:19 pm »
I will be the first to admit that I have not followed this debate. I suppose I should have an opinion concerning GMO technology. I don't think this thing that people are able to do with DNA is scary or puts them to god like status. What I do wonder is just how far we can take this before someone screws up and mistakenly creates something that they can't control. This seems like a likely ending given mankinds track record. First we alter plants then progress to higher organisms. Am I mistaken in my assumptions? Like I said, I'm not worried about any of this. I can't worry about things I have no control over.
But this is a beekeeping forum, isn't it?
Later,
Ray