Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarms have started  (Read 11998 times)

Offline lvgwy

• Brood
swarms have started
« on: August 03, 2011, 04:24:35 am »
Hi all,this is my first post so please be gentle with me. I found a small  handful of bees(approx 150-200mm across)on the ground near my hives when I went to check them 22nd July.Carefully looked through them with a leaf and yes there was a queen amongst them.Luckily I carry a 4 frame nuc with me at work(u never know when u may need one), grabbed a frame of honey and pollen from a hive and there still going ok at the moment.Then I get a call from a mate at Camp Hill, Brisbane about 5.00pm 1st August says there is a swarm in a palm tree next door and the owner is anxious to have it gone.I get there 6.00am next morning, this swarm almost fills a 10 frame box and are very quiet, no protection needed and just a little smoke. Owner thought I was crazy, so I guess swarm season has started.This time last year I was a newbee and had no hives,now I have 21, Cheers Graham.
If it's not broken then don't try to fix it.

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
Re: swarms have started
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 08:45:02 pm »
Swarms already bud, I am not surprised the weather is crazy! like a false or early spring I have already baited a hive trap and will be tooling up with some extra gear to catch swarms.
cheers
Steve

Offline dING

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 08:55:22 pm »
Half your luck

Tis still to wintery down in Tassie

Will be a month or two b4 they swarm here
Getting older dont make ya smarter just more cunning

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 09:53:17 pm »
hi
  i would believe it my bees been on a good flow for last month filled two 8 frame deep of honey.the bluetop iron bark [eucalyptus fibrosa subsp.nubila] are putting on a good show.might be in for a good season.plenty drones about noticed

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 05:55:44 pm »
Gday Graham, welcome aboard.

I am not surprised about the swarm, I opened my 3 hives on Saturday for the first time in months and found them absolutely packed with honey.
Between 2 hives and a nuc I got 25L of honey. I was only planning on rotating out an old brood frame or 2, but ended up opening up the brood and taking HEAPS of honey. Luckily no swarm cells, I think I got them just in time!

Guess I better get my swarm gear together.....

21 hives Graham? You must have a decent sized bit of land out Ipswich way? Great to have another person close to Brisbane on the forum.

ML

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 04:43:52 am »
Just love it all happening. helps build up numbers as canola is flowering madly down here. Just need some late flowering of eucs and it be sweet for this and early next year.

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 04:56:54 am »
Hey Mardak, whats the honey like that comes off Canola, is it any good or does it crystallise  in the comb like I have read??

Cheers
Steve

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 08:52:37 pm »
Just love it all happening. helps build up numbers as canola is flowering madly down here. Just need some late flowering of eucs and it be sweet for this and early next year.

Canola is already flowering there?

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 05:57:05 am »
Canola honey is watery, lacks colour and smelly taste. Canola is good for building up numbers in the boxes. the girls certainly take well and copious amounts of nectar and surrounding pollen. Girls get a little fysty but a good way to clean out your hives after the winters.

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 01:37:51 am »
Thanks for that info just good to give them a kick along cool.

Cheers
Steve

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 09:10:40 pm »
Canola honey is watery, lacks colour and smelly taste. Canola is good for building up numbers in the boxes. the girls certainly take well and copious amounts of nectar and surrounding pollen. Girls get a little fysty but a good way to clean out your hives after the winters.

Thanks Mardak for the info... but is your canola flowering down that way already?

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 07:50:02 am »
Absolutely, see along the Western Freeway between Ballan and Bacchus Marsh on the left hand side going towards Adelaide. Around Warnambool the canola is also very thick and yellow.

Offline Grieth

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 10:59:06 am »
Last year was a bad one for swarms in Melbourne.  Some are predicting very early swarms again this year.

As a suburban beekeeper, I need to take special care in swarm control- don't want to add to any anti-bee views in the area.

It would be good if the first beekeeper to see a swarm or queen cell prep in different regions, could post here so the rest of us know to take particular care of our hives from then. I am not suggesting that beekeepers are not careful, but warning of early swarming in other hives is a help.
"The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things:
Of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kingsā€
Lewis Carroll

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 08:12:24 pm »
Thats not a bad idea, as we know all hives and areas are different by it might give us a heads up on whats happening I'm in.

Cheers
Steve

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 06:06:28 am »
Maybe put another box on top or do a split, works well to manage potential swarms up my way. I hope its a bumper year after the last one.

Offline lvgwy

• Brood
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 08:46:27 am »
Couldn't believe it,came home last Thursday 18/8/11 and thought I might watch my hives(5 in back yard) while I have lunch.So I sit on small seat I have in the garden and not 5 mins later a hive swarms right before my eyes.The swarm lands in a small shrub in my yard so I proceed to box it up.Only small swarm, about 2 frames of bees but doing ok.Spoke to the neighbour while the hive was swarming and he said he had a swarm in his lemon tree just over the fence last week(obviously from my hives).They have caught me out as it is still winter and we are in the middle of selling our home and moving so there are not enough hours in the day. Still yet another swarm today,guy rings 4.30pm comes home from work and has swarm in his front yard,this thing is big,filled a 10 frame box and was dark when I finished,will pick up box early morning, 3 swarms and it's still winter, Cheers.
If it's not broken then don't try to fix it.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 08:33:30 pm »
It would be good if the first beekeeper to see a swarm or queen cell prep in different regions, could post here so the rest of us know to take particular care of our hives from then. I am not suggesting that beekeepers are not careful, but warning of early swarming in other hives is a help.

That would be a great help! I'm in Melbournes Northern Suburbs and I haven't even seen a drone cell yet!

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 09:54:40 pm »
My hives are south of Brisbane and are LOADED with drones, also packed with honey and a few queen cups on some frames.

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 10:55:32 pm »
That would be a great help! I'm in Melbournes Northern Suburbs and I haven't even seen a drone cell yet!
I'm in the North as well, Epping to be precise. I'll be in the market for my first bees in the next 4 to 5 weeks (or whenever) if you come across a swarm that you want to sell let me know. I can pay with cash, home brew (or store bought) or electrical work (I'm an electrician by trade)  :-D
Paul.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 12:05:38 am »
I'm in the North as well, Epping to be precise. I'll be in the market for my first bees in the next 4 to 5 weeks (or whenever) if you come across a swarm that you want to sell let me know. I can pay with cash, home brew (or store bought) or electrical work (I'm an electrician by trade)  :-D
Paul.

Drop me a PM when you're ready Paul - i do sell swarms, hives etc