Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The snood of the big ol' tom turkey, Richard  (Read 6302 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
The snood of the big ol' tom turkey, Richard
« on: December 01, 2008, 10:41:49 am »
Richard never ceases to amaze me.  I can watch this dude for hours on end, he enthralls me, his antics are nothing short of incredible.

I was watching him the other day, as he was watching me.  I noticed something really strange about his snood.  Now, go figure, if "snood" isn't the weirdest word in the the world, well then, I don't know what is.

It appeared to me that his snood is growing feathers on the end of it.  I have never noticed feathers on the snood before, maybe it is to keep it warm.  Now, for those of you that know turkeys, you know the amazing ability of the snood.  For those that don't know what a snood can do, well, you are in for a little story here.

The snood of a turkey is a weird part of the bird.  It lives on the birds nose.  It must be used for intimidation or to show off to the girls.  No clue which one, but I suspect both.  It is a magnificent hangy down thing that changes in shape from moment to moment.  For the most part I would say that it is a hangy down thing.  But then in a mere moment in time, this hangy down thing can turn into what I would equate to a unicorn's horn. 

The females have a snood too, but it is not nearly as big as the tom's.  The tom child of Richards (I think the other two are females) is getting quite a long snood now.  They are coming up four months old now and looking pretty cool. 

The turkeys are quite amazing birds, and I am certainly glad that a flock of turkeys are being raised, little by little, to share my chickenyard critters.  Enjoy this picture of Richard, my beautiful bronze tom.  Have a most wonderful and awesome day, Cindi

Richard.....

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Re: The snood of the big ol' tom turkey, Richard
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 11:13:48 am »
Thank's for the great pic's Cindi. I really like the turkey one's.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 11:45:10 am »
In the last pic I guess the ole boy is in the mood 'eh?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 01:39:01 pm »
Jp, I noticed that too.  :shock:

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 08:21:36 pm »
In the last pic I guess the ole boy is in the mood 'eh?

...JP

Doesn't that just make the hair on your snnod stand on end?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 10:13:57 pm »
OH YEAH!!!
 I'm almost on the floor laffing right now!!
"SNOOD"???
 I never even noticed that they change shapes!!!
 But,...Gosh dang!!! Leave it to JP to make me bust a gut!!!
 I think I'm gonna get me a snood too!!

your friend,
john

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 09:58:09 am »
Dose this count as a snood   :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 10:18:59 am »
Dose this count as a snood   :-D

Yes!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 11:51:16 am »
Irwin, nice picture, I think we could equate that to a turkey snood, hee, hee!!!  The the way, here is a link to a site that defines the parts of the turkey.

http://www.tpwmagazine.com/archive/2005/nov/skillbuilder/

It appears that the snood is only short when the bird is relaxed, hee, hee.  Beautiful day, great life and health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 03:38:26 pm »
Cindi, Richard is surely magnificent!  I love the way they show off!  The Tom Turkey dance is impressive also! The snood changes colors along with the fleshy parts of the face, top that guys! :evil:  Those naughty boys are going to have a ball with this thread!  I don't know if I want to see their "snoods... :? :shock:"  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 07:49:27 pm »
YAYYYY! IRWIN!!!!!! Thats a SNOOD in my book!!!!!..Thats hilarious!!!
Man, This thread is killin' me!!!

your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 10:29:43 am »
Those naughty boys are going to have a ball with this thread! :? :shock:"  J

OK Jody, you do say the funniest things and now....you have sent me on a quest.  Now I need to go to Richard and get some good closeups of his face colours.  Yes, it is amazing, the entire head, caruncles and everything can go from pale beige, to blue, to blue/red, to that brilliant, and I mean BRILLIANT, fire engine red, all of the fleshy areas!!!  When he is really upset, that is when his entire snood, caruncles are that fire engine red. 

I know that others know well of the turkey and the colours, I just like to show these things to others that may not know of the antics of the turkey toms!!!  They are simply amazing.

I have this funniest video that I took with my still camera of Richard chasing after my Sister's dog one time when he was in the chickenyard by the chickenhill.  We set this dog up for Richard to chase him.  The dog was chasing after a stick, Richard hot on his tail.  If I could ever figure out how to get it to U-tube, it would be worth the watch, it was funny.  Turkeys seem to run kind of sideways when they are hot on someone elses tail, oh it cracks me up so much.  Gonna head outside with camera in my back pocket, because I see by looking outside that the sun may shine today.  Beautiful day, life, great health,  Cindi