Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fall Vegetable Gardening  (Read 7357 times)

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Fall Vegetable Gardening
« on: August 27, 2009, 12:40:35 pm »
Is anyone putting in fall crops this year? This summer was such a bust except for the carrots,potatoes and tomatoes I figure I will give the fall vegetables a shot.
I put in beets, carrots, turnips/rutabagas, some radish that they say are meant for growing in the fall and I ordered overwintering onions and garlic to be planted in October.
I didn't bother with any greens, alot of my garden is still tied up with tomatoes, potatoes and runner beans that are all doing amazingly well.
Hopefully next spring will be drier.
I made space this year for more permanent crops and planted rhubarb and asparagus.

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
Re: Fall Vegetable Gardening
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 07:23:39 pm »
Is anyone putting in fall crops this year? This summer was such a bust except for the carrots,potatoes and tomatoes I figure I will give the fall vegetables a shot.
I put in beets, carrots, turnips/rutabagas, some radish that they say are meant for growing in the fall and I ordered overwintering onions and garlic to be planted in October.
I didn't bother with any greens, alot of my garden is still tied up with tomatoes, potatoes and runner beans that are all doing amazingly well.
Hopefully next spring will be drier.
I made space this year for more permanent crops and planted rhubarb and asparagus.

I've planted a fall garden - carrots, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, collards, lettuce, and spinach.  I also have a late planting of tomatoes, cucumbers, squash and beans that should just make it by the end of September.  I grew salad greens all winter last year in a simple cold frame and my world famous 50 dollar green house.  We've almost stopped buying fresh veggies at the grocery store. 

I hate hot weather, but I really enjoy growing stuff in the cool months - no bugs, no weeds, no sweat.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 07:38:44 pm »
Well, I live in florida so I can usually grow veggies year-round. Right now my hot season crops are just maturing (sweet potatoes, okra, zuccs, squash etc). New fall tomatoes are up in starter flats and I'll seed new flats with leaf crops for the cooler weather in two or three weeks.

I garden 100% organic and the year-round bugs can be a real chore to control, but if I plant enough to share and (along with my wife) do twice daily hand pickings of the real nasties I can normally get enough for our family and a few friends.

Have fun with it!
Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 08:14:12 pm »
Well, I live in florida so I can usually grow veggies year-round. Right now my hot season crops are just maturing (sweet potatoes, okra, zuccs, squash etc). New fall tomatoes are up in starter flats and I'll seed new flats with leaf crops for the cooler weather in two or three weeks.

I garden 100% organic and the year-round bugs can be a real chore to control, but if I plant enough to share and (along with my wife) do twice daily hand pickings of the real nasties I can normally get enough for our family and a few friends.

Have fun with it!
Scott

The bugs are still a plague here too until October.  I'm organic as well - right now I have most of the fall stuff under screen cloth to spare it from the intense sun, and protect it from the bugs.  Works pretty good.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 08:20:25 pm »
The rain mostly did us in this year, New England was pretty much a wash out for gardening.
The tomatoes are still going strong for me, I know the blight was terrible for alot of tomato growers so I am grateful for my fortune there.
Its a nice set up you got there David.
I am toying with the idea of the coldframe. I bought a book last year on winter gardening but I had too much going on to try it.
I may this year though. I do have some materials on hand for a coldframe and I am teaching my children about gardening so it would be a good lesson for them.

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 11:08:31 pm »
It wasn't a good year for gardens here in Tennessee either.  We had the wettest, coolest July ever on record and many gardens were a complete failure.  I was fortunate in that I got a really early start way back in February (starting plants indoors) and we got tomatoes Beginning in late June before the disease really got cranked up.  I planted two heirloom varieties that made tons of huge diseased, foul tasting tomatoes.  If it weren't for the hybrids (celebrity, early girl, juliet) we wouldn't have gotten any.  Juliets have really been the star.

For the last 3 weeks or so our weather has been pretty normal - hot and dry - and things are actually looking pretty good right now.

Now, if my bees would just bring in some honey.  :)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 11:16:42 am »
David, lovely little cold frames, we call them cloches here and they are very expensive to buy.  Yours were homemade?  Good for you.  I have not gardened at all, kept thinking our house would have sold.  I could have had bumper crops of everything, our summer was so perfect for growing.  I did get some of the annual vegetables and ones that self-seeded, but that was it, absolutely nauda, sigh.  Oh well.  I will have to buy vegetables this winter, ich.....usually my freezers and canning shelves are full, sigh.  There is always another year, yay.  Well, at least I wont' have too much to move, with regard to canning jars and freezer stuff, smiling.  Have that beautiful and most wonderfully great day, and great health too!!!  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 07:37:20 pm »
David, lovely little cold frames, we call them cloches here and they are very expensive to buy.  Yours were homemade?  Good for you.  I have not gardened at all, kept thinking our house would have sold.  I could have had bumper crops of everything, our summer was so perfect for growing.  I did get some of the annual vegetables and ones that self-seeded, but that was it, absolutely nauda, sigh.  Oh well.  I will have to buy vegetables this winter, ich.....usually my freezers and canning shelves are full, sigh.  There is always another year, yay.  Well, at least I wont' have too much to move, with regard to canning jars and freezer stuff, smiling.  Have that beautiful and most wonderfully great day, and great health too!!!  Cindi

I did make my cold frames.  Here in Tennessee I can grow something in the them all winter long - mostly salad greens of various kinds.  Maybe by next spring you will be in a new home with a nice garden spot - if not you can probably guarantee the rapid sale of your house by planting a nice garden.  That way it's a win/win.  May you also have a wonderful day filled with health, beauty, and the companionship of those you love!  Thanks.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 10:46:10 am »
  May you also have a wonderful day filled with health, beauty, and the companionship of those you love!  Thanks.

David, beautiful, don't those few words conjure up the most awesome of good feelings, say no more, it makes my heart happy.  Too to have that most awesomely great day, with great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 12:15:13 pm »
  May you also have a wonderful day filled with health, beauty, and the companionship of those you love!  Thanks.

David, beautiful, don't those few words conjure up the most awesome of good feelings, say no more, it makes my heart happy.  Too to have that most awesomely great day, with great health.  Cindi

You must be one of those people who brings joy with them wherever they go - and even leave a bit behind when you leave I imagine.

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 12:47:57 pm »
I had a great year with my bees and my garden this year.  My wife and son are all veggied out and I still have to pull off the last supper soon.  With all that said I will not be planting anymore this year since my time is limited and I have to start getting ready for the LSAT test on October 17th.
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 10:13:02 am »

You must be one of those people who brings joy with them wherever they go - and even leave a bit behind when you leave I imagine.

My agenda in life, thank you for those kind words, kind words make our world go 'round and 'round and 'round and around.  Beautiful days in our great life, with great health.  Cindi

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 12:51:23 am »
I have fall beets, lettuce, spinach and other greens coming but need to get in some more greens like perpetual arugula, pak choy and others. Thanks for the reminder!

It's been so enjoyable to enjoy the bees enjoying things that ended up flowering. In the past, I would have been disappointed to have let my plants end up flowering (like broccoli, choy and radishes). Now I'm just happy the girls have more to eat and I have less work :D

luvin' honey
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

anything