Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Teeny Weeny Ants  (Read 5506 times)

Offline josbees

• House Bee
Teeny Weeny Ants
« on: December 15, 2008, 11:14:09 pm »
Checked my hive this morning.  Today was in the 50s after a stretch of cold weather, so I was hoping to see some cleansing flights.  Didn't see any girls flying.  Did see maybe 20 dead on the landing board.  Then noticed a number of teeny ants crawling ont the hive.  They're maybe 2 millimetres long. 

No discernible sound from the hive.  I'm worried that the ants are getting in and eating the supplies and the girls are taking the loss.....

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Teeny Weeny Ants
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 11:16:52 pm »
Josbees.  I wouldn't worry too much about the ants, they are small, I don't think that they would make much of a dint in the stores of the bees.  It has been cold for the ants too, maybe just a few of them venturing out to find a little food.  Have a great and wonderful day, life, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 12:58:37 am »
There's an article in Beeculture this month about those ants, they can be active in colder weather and they don't harm anything.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 08:35:20 am »
I've had stored equipment that was cleaned by the ants, and they even kept wax moths out all summer long..... :-D

Nothing wrong with checking on the bees. Next time, take the top off (not the inner cover) and stick your ear down close and listen. No reason to prolong or not know if your bees are alive. Do what you need to do. If you hear nothing, tap on the box. Nothing still, rap harder.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline josbees

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 08:36:35 am »
Thanks everyone.  Seems there's always something to get me worried!

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 08:49:44 am »
Hello Josbees,

The ants might not hurt but it doesn't hurt to put tins of oil under your stand legs either.

Lone

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 09:08:05 am »
In a world that it seems everyone feels that bees in the wild (feral bees) do so great, I am also surprised that once placed into a hive, why beekeepers want to promote a "sterile" environment, somehow thinking the bees can not cope, deal with, or survive without such help.

I picture a wild hive as a complete ecosystem, where microorganism, insects, and a host of items all benefit from each other. How do we know the ants only harm, and do not contribute to the health of the hive through removal of particles and organic matter?

It's like humans who keep a sterile home, with antibacterial soap, antibacterial this and that, then have the sickest kids on the block, and have not a clue what we have done to kids immune systems these days with antibiotics, and super clean sterile conditions.

But, I know I'm the looney tune, commenting on what I can only imagine is beekeepers all over the world, crying out loud at the site of an ant, running for the can of whatever to kill of one insect, in attempts to make another insect survive.

I'm not singling out Lone. And maybe she lives in an area that has some of those ants that can really attack a hive, as I heard some ants can be real problems. I'm just saying that when one sees a few ants, it's may not a big deal, and maybe we are doing more harm than good sometimes.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 09:11:38 am »
Hey, I live in Queensland.  Our ants are as big as crocodiles.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 09:18:09 am »
Quote from Bjornbee "But, I know I'm the looney tune, commenting on what I can only imagine is beekeepers all over the world, crying out loud at the site of an ant, running for the can of whatever to kill of one insect, in attempts to make another insect survive."

Join the club, you're def not the only looney tune here I can guarentee you this, I def believe less is more when it comes to beekeeping, in fact from what I've gathered from being a member of this site many of us feel and practice the same less is more policy.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 09:38:05 am »

I know there are all types out there. That's why I was careful to leave you some wiggle room.... :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline josbees

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 09:49:52 am »
Bjorn -- I like your analogy.  I let my kids play with bugs and get all dirty, so.....

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 09:53:32 am »
Play???....My kids eat those things...   :shock:

Thank you.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 09:58:40 am »
The nice thing about ants is that it seems that the carpenter type ants that are usually the problem seem to hibernate in the colder climates.  The little sugar ant don't so much, but if you consider their size, it will take them a week to clean out one cell worth of honey.

Rick
Rick

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 10:35:38 am »
I'm new to this bee thing so I have to take advice of folk who've been around for longer. It makes sense to me that prevention is better than cure, and if you use a simple technique like oil then it can save a bit of trouble from any type of crawling critter.  I'm sure your teeny weeny ants are no trouble, and probably a lot of ants in hives are a symptom not a cause of a weak hive.

I am not certain, but possibly some ants that annoy bees are the meat ants and the green tree ants.  How about your fire ants that made it to Brisbane?

I've wondered about bees in trees.  The tree we took down a couple of weeks ago had white ants still inside among the bees, and I saw a couple of bees flying out with one. 

But we are not leaving them in their natural environment, and when we choose to take on animals then I think we should try to look after them and protect them.  Besides, my poor weak hives need all the help they can get.

Lone

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 11:08:05 am »

I know there are all types out there. That's why I was careful to leave you some wiggle room.... :-D

Wiggle it, just a little bit, nice word by the way, it is a word that is good, I have a love of words and some are just great!!!  Have a great, most awesome life, day, and health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service