Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees in a can  (Read 2261 times)

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Bees in a can
« on: July 06, 2007, 12:43:28 am »
I went and got some bees off a guys property last week these bees were in a old 5 gallon honey can.I put a five gallon paint strainer over the can were the bees went in and out and then took them to my bee yard.I cut them out of the can and put them in a new hive.I went to check them and they were over run with ants.The bees were clustered on the outside of the box.I scoped them up and put them in a new box with drawn comb and put them up on a old chair to keep them up away from the ants.I went to check them this afternoon and they weren't in the box but had moved to this nuc I had got from Dee Lusby.You could see them fighting a little and some dead bees but they were moving in.I think maybe the queen expired during all the comotion of cutting out the ants and being put in a second box I don't know.Anyone else see bees move into another active hive before?
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Bees in a can
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 12:49:12 am »
Maybe African bees?

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 01:08:29 am »
last year, but it was after they had been queenless for a bit.  several weeks, i think.  when i realized that most had drifted to another hive, i just combined  what was left and that seemed to work.  at least i saved some.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 05:56:59 am »
I have seen a hive in a 5 gallon bucket, it was upside down and had a crack in the side and they moved in and had filled it with comb...
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 06:59:46 am »
Kirko, when you did the transfer did you add honeycomb along with broodcomb into the new hive? I do not advise this. I only add the broodcomb when doing a transfer as the bees are usually stressed when you do a cut out and are not able to properly tend to the honeycomb, which leads to unwanted invasions from ants and wax moth, although I do spray all combs with Certan, which cuts way back on the wax moth issue. The bees were trying to survive and the ants forced them elsewhere, that is why I never transfer honeycomb.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 09:30:36 am »
Hey thats a good idea on not putting in the honey comb when you cut out I'm going to remember that
thank you
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

anything