Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Against better judgment ....  (Read 10658 times)

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
Re: Against better judgment ....
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 01:11:24 pm »
Do it!! enjoy the fame and misfortune!!
above there is probably 100 years of experience telling
you something you can't hear
back to
Fame,Misfortune
You maybe a future Star on
Watch More truTV Presents: World's Dumbest Videos

You also said against your better Judgment
If you have a better Judgment
Listen too it :?

hope the tree falls before you get there
and no-one gets hurt in the process

BTW I came on here wanting to learn
and I have..............

However I am still here, still Learning
I am learning by Listening and taking
advise from those above
OK I'm Done
Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 07:48:47 pm »
I know that you really want the bees, but I would advise you to heed the advise of very experienced beekeepers (some of them have been beekeeping since the hills were formed :D, and others have written books on it) who have seen almost every situation in the book.

But if you still think that you can prove us wrong and you somehow succeed...I'll be the first to say "Great job!!"  ;).

Rick
Are you talking about me  :? Been beekeeping since 1957

:lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Boom Buzz

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 08:09:43 pm »
Okay, first off, I would follow the advice of 100 + years of beekeeping here and walk away and wait for some easier bees.

That said, trying to be creative, what if Mr. Against Better Judgement was able to use bee quick in a large dose to force the bees out.  For instance what if he were to push a hose down toward the bottom of the cavity and squirt a bunch of bee quick through the hose.  Then stand ready with the bee vac to suck up the bees as they came out?  Just a thought...not sure if this would work.  If it is successful and enough of the bees are forced out then maybe spray a bunch of cotton balls with bee quick and putting them in the cavity before sealing up the hole.   No insecticide used.  Hopefully most (98%) of the bees are evacuated.  Tree gets sealed with some level of safe bee repellent is used.  Probably minimal honey recovered.

Again, just trying to be creative with a bee friendly solution...

John

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 12:28:16 am »
Ok well i went ahead and did it anyway. Im Glad i did ! I learned a lot. And thank fully the lil girls worked with me. It seems lie the hive had just swarmed. Ans didnt requeen its self. I found no brood at all. ( yes i know what to look for.) Just a lot of honey and Nector. I made a shop vac bucket style beevac. It worked great! 1/3 a five gallon bucket full of bees. Only 4 DOA. Weather was nice and i was in part shade.

Tree was huge ! She said its not big on the phone..... Makes me wonder what is big ? Anywho Not even one sting. And twards the end of the cut out there were to many bees in the bucket to suck up. So i ened up just putting the lid on the bucket. And with my hands scooping up large hand fulls of bees and placing them in the Hive i brought. ( stange feeling holding all them buzzing in your hands. As i said i couldent belive how nice they were acting. I ran outa room in the hive and bucket had to call it quits. I had a load of bees and a lot of comb 10+ frames worth. So i finished taking out ALL the comb in the cavity leaving only a little that just flated out. And there still were a ton of bees. So i told the lady i would set up 1 hive body and a nuc i had, with some of there comb to hopfully entice them to take up residence in one or the other. And told her they might re build the original hive. She said come back in 2 weeks and do it again if you want. LOL she was a nice lady even signed a realese paper for me. So in 2 weeks ill go back and see if anyone is useing the hives. Or remove more comb from the tree. Time will tell. Now for some pics !

Stared with this hole cut out

Ended with this !

over 8 ft long.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 05:07:04 am »
there probably is a queen.  if they just swarmed she  may not be mated or laying yet.  when you go back, she will be where all the bees are if you have left the hive there.  keep us posted. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 08:15:00 am »
Ya ill letchall know what i find. Forgot to mention there were around 16 swarm cells all were uncapped.

Offline Mike Tuggle

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 09:06:46 am »
Did you not see the queen or were the bees you put in the hive body not fanning the "she's here" signal?  It may take a while even with a laying queen to get over the stress of the removal but I would think, even during the comb transfer, that you'd see some behavior clues that you have her.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 10:23:52 am »
Looks like you departed a little from your plan!! ;)  The tree took a little hit though...  looks a lot more fun the way you did it versus the way you described.

When you say "uncapped queen cells"...did they have larvae in them? 

I'm curious to see what the bees left behind will do.  If they had some brood there they go into the hive you left, or they may not stay at all.
Rick

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 10:55:12 am »
She may want this tree, but it will be down the first time a big wind hits it. Who will she call then?

Secondly, with all the bees you have posted as getting, do you really think it had already swarmed? Just curious.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2011, 11:01:32 am »
Why couldnt you do a trap out instead? Far less invasive-that tree is a goner. Hope shes not the type to sue if it takes out a house or an outbuilding when it comes crashing down.

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2011, 12:57:24 pm »
Lol She signed a release form for me ! In it i stated i was not liable for any damages. To herself or outbuildings ect.

When i was cutting out i told her how big it might get and she calle her logging friend ( guy has all the big guns i guess) And i talked to him he said if it looks like its gonna go he'll just take it down for her. And as for the bees it was a huge hive and Like i said No Brood at all.....? Like it swarmed and the existing queen died the colony had no one to lay so the young developed and just started working ? Also there was a rathre large amount of drones i thought. And a freind said that with all the queen cells its not uncommen to have that happen.

Yea i kinda had to go out in left feild for this one. I HAD a plan. got there and threw it out the window !Lol :roll:
Im guessing the bees that were left in there will try to rebuild. Im hoping there gonna swarm and leave. Or at least use the boxes i left. Time will tell i guess.

The bees were fanning but not at the end so mabey i did get the queen ? The hive here is still on cleanup duty. Got messy when i was transfering comb. and im letting them rob the rest of the uncaped stuff in a bucket. There no threat of hive robbing around me.

Ill post more pics and info later when i get a call to come back a a week or two.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2011, 01:50:58 pm »
I'd guess they swarmed a couple of weeks ago and there was one virgin queen in there somewhere (unless she'd started laying already).  If you didn't get her, your bees will dwindle away.  If you did get her, the bees in the tree will dwindle.  They are usually quick to run and quick to fly, so your chances of having got her are less than optimal.  You should know in 2-3 weeks if there aren't any eggs in your new hive.
Rick

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2011, 08:37:31 pm »
Im going to put on another deep tomorrow. And foundation frame. THeres a guy in town who has queens mabey i should get one . Should i get one now or wait a week ? Just dont want the bees to abondon me.

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2011, 08:35:38 am »
Ok i found her ! :lol:

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2011, 08:54:32 am »
Ok i found her ! :lol:

YOUR A DAD .............................

congrats :-D
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2011, 09:23:38 am »
Cool!  Just make sure that "she" isn't a "he"  :-D

Nows a time to keep an eye on them but mostly let them bee.  They don't like cutouts, and my experience is that they'll requeen if there is trauma like that and a new queen.  But she should start laying eggs if not already, so that shouldn't be a huge setback, they won't do it until she's layed first.  Quick checks, just get in there till you see brood or eggs, then get out again.  In a couple of weeks they should be settled in.
Rick

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2011, 08:16:30 pm »
so about 3-4 days in between ??

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2011, 11:21:29 pm »
I would make that weekly.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2011, 10:23:32 am »
Ok i wont poke around but once a week.

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2011, 01:48:23 pm »
Just my two cents for next time - a release form puts weight on your side but does not guarantee that you would not be sued.   If you have not already, there are a lot of videos on the web (See JP's excellent videos) of cut outs.  You can learn a lot from them (They are entertaining too!)  I know you didn't have the time on this one, but now that you do it's time to sit back and say "What could of been done better?  What equipment problems did I have (or not have, but could of had if X had happened).  How can I fix those problems for next time?  Oh, and a warning on the bucket vac (I have one and it does work great.), NEVER leave a big bunch of bees in one for very long (I'm talking minutes/hours not days - and the bigger the bunch of bees the shorter that time is.)  They can overheat and die quick - I killed about four pounds of bees that way once.  Long, hot cutout, and you think "Oh, they should be o.k. for the forty minute ride home... WRONG!  I won't get into the whole "Should you have done it, and should you have charged." thing, enough others have weighed in on that. Only time will tell whether this was a good idea for you or not.

JC

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"