Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Turn down removal  (Read 3510 times)

Offline rast

• Field Bee
Turn down removal
« on: August 19, 2008, 05:20:02 pm »
 A representative from an old cemetery near me asked me to remove some bees from a tree in a section they are going to start using. I didn't agree to do anything but look at them before I would agree. I went and found them this afternoon. It's an oak tree at least 2 1/2-3 ft. in diameter. They are going in right at the ground between two roots. First thing that came to mind was AFB's. Even if a sample was tested first and came back OK, I know of no way to get them out. The hole to the outside of the tree is only about 2-4".
 Advise is very welcome. 
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
Re: Turn down removal
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 07:14:08 pm »
I don't know a thing about AHB (which is what I think you meant) but as for the tree...  I imagine the cemetery probably has access to earth moving equipment.  If they really want the bees gone, maybe they can push the tree over and then you can cut from underneath.

Or you could try a trap out (which wouldn't be bad, since you would want to requeen anyway if they are africanized.)

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 07:17:22 pm »
Doing a trapout would be the only way, short of cutting down the tree. If they're going to cut down the tree to make space, they can always have you on hand to deal with the hive when they get to that part of the tree. I've decided not to deal with tree jobs, unless the people have a tree service remove the tree. I'm not bothering with trapouts or cutting the tree down myself.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 09:05:56 pm »
 Yep, AHB is what I meant and they don't want to cut the tree down. I feel a trapout would be too much trouble. The most I will go tree cutting wise is take a limb off after screening in the bees and somebody else clean up the mess.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 09:38:10 pm »
Trees are the most natural place bees can live, this is where they live, in the cavities of trees, it is not a sign in the very least that they are entering from the base, that they are AHBs, they enter tree cavities wherever they may find an entrance, whether at the base or 40' up.

Here's a thought. Check the tree out thoroughly and determine where the cavity is, if you can seal the main entrance and move it high from the ground, they may decide to just leave them in the tree.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 11:35:51 am »
its late but it may help som-one else who might have a similar problem. if/when you find where the cavity is, bore 2 holes(inch or so in diameter) one at the bottom of the cavity and one at the top. plug the hole at the bottom as well as the original entrance the bees were using, leave for a couple of days. make a cage out of mesh/hardware cloth(conical & about 3 ft long & 6inches -1 ft in dia.

Unplug the bottom hole, place and anchor the cage over the top entrance ensuring there is no gap between tree and cage. Commence puffing smoke through the bottom hole(did i say you need a lit smoker... well you do) You should see bees streaming into the cage, eventually you may see Her Majesty as well. When the volume of escaping bees and significantly reduced, remove cage and plug all holes.

NB. you may want to wear gloves as bees will be extremely testy and may sting through the cage

anything