Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Consolidating hives for the winter....  (Read 2673 times)

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
Consolidating hives for the winter....
« on: November 02, 2006, 02:51:25 pm »
I was finishing up getting the hives ready for winter yesterday and I have 1 hive that has me puzzled.  This hive has 2 deeps on it but only has about 3 frames capped in the upper deep.  The bottom deep is full.  There are plenty of bees - I'm thinking too many bees for just one deep box.  I'm not sure what to do about the extra bees if I decide to consolidate this hive down to 1 deep for the winter.  The 3 capped frames with stores I guess I could freeze or give to other hives that might need them. 

Should I just leave the second deep on top even though it's not full and I doubt the bees will fill it this fall or should I try to get all the bees I can in the bottom deep for the winter...? 

Will bees from other hives except extra bees if I were to just move the 3 capped frames and the bees working on them to another hive or two....?      Thanks

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: Consolidating hives for the winter....
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 03:02:51 pm »

I looked the map and forecast and you have quite warm there. Bees are able to fly outside. Reson why cells are not capped is that you should give more syrup that they get cells full.  I had same problem in my hives his autumn.  They store syrup first around brood and cap the centre frames in upper box.

http://www.wunderground.com/US/SC/Columbia.html

We have here -5 - -10C  and snow  20-30 cm

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 09:34:10 pm »
If you only have 3 frames of drawn/fuilled comb in the upper box I would remove it and force all the bees into 1 deep.  The die off during the winter will adjust the population.  Freeze the 3 frames of honey and thaw for a day before feeding to the hive.  I would estimate 1 frame every 3 weeks after Xmas until February.  Remove an empty frame and replace it with a full one.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 10:08:46 pm »

What Bryan says is good. When you shake bees in front of hive from upper box bees go into hive. If next morning hive does not have much bees outise, your problem is solved.

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 10:10:43 pm »
Thanks guys - I appreciate the replies..   One other question:  I don't have enough extra honey ( frozen capped honey in frames ) to use for food this winter...   It doesn't real cold here for any long periods of time and we don't get much snow if any.. 

If I don't have enough honey to feed the bees do you think 2:1 syrup will work as well. ?  They might over winter without any feeding - what do you think..?  This beekeeping can become complicated if you let it - I wonder what people did 50 or 100 yrs. ago.  I doubt they feed many bees in the winter...:)   Thanks.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 10:16:54 pm »
- I wonder what people did 50 or 100 yrs. ago.  I doubt they feed many bees in the winter...:)   Thanks.

I have had bees only 45 years. I have did always that I take all honey away and give sugar syrup. It takes one week when bees fill combs with syrup.

YOu must give so much syrup hat cell are full and bees cap them.  Otherwise moisture goes into open food and it start to ferment.