Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Horse riding  (Read 23115 times)

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Horse riding
« on: March 07, 2005, 11:14:58 pm »
I am shure that others on the forum have horses. My question is is it getting warm enough where you live to start riding again. We started really riding the last few weeks but the temp has droped pretty low tonight and for the rest of this week. I myself ride a painter for barrel racing and am thinking about getting some breed of draft hoarse just not shure yet. Bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
Horse riding
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 11:46:58 pm »
I've been riding several times already this year. But our winters are so mild, it's easy to ride most of the year.

I don't have any horses of my own, but have friends that have horses. I actually just went riding yesterday. It was my first time on this particular horse, and we had a blast. His name is Sparky, and he's a western pleasure horse. My friend bought him only a year ago, and has never ridden him - which I think is so silly. He was a beautiful tri-colored paint (my favorite) quarter horse - sorta small, like 14 hands. He does tricks, but my friend hasn't figured out yet how to make him do them all. All she has gotten him to do is open and close the gate, and nod his head to questions. He is suppose to know how to bow, but she doesn't know the ques to make him do it.

I loved riding him! But my musles aren't that strong, so I got bounced around alot. :) Now today I'm bruised and sore. It was worth it. He was a very happy, well mannered, spirited horse - who took me for quite the ride! He enjoyed running, and being trained in western pleasure, curled his head down low when running. It was like riding a little bullet!

And after the ride, I thanked him for such a good time. Then my friend took off his saddle and bridle, and he put HIMSELF back in the pasture - opening the gate and walking on in unassisted. :) He's actually for sale ($1,700), but I can't afford that. I sure would buy him if I could. I fell in love instantly.

Beth

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Horse riding
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 09:20:52 am »
Sounds like a great horse, maybe I can get him, lol. bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
Horse riding
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 10:26:11 am »
Ryan-
I don't know what horse prices are like where you are, but down here they go for way less than they're worth. I used to live in Colorado, and a $1,700 horse was just a cheap trail riding nag or a half way pretty baby. Sparky (in Colorado) would easily sell for over $5,000. But in Georgia people won't pay that. You can get an ok horse here for under $500 - even less if you buy at an auction during the winter. He's worth every bit of $1,700.

I can't wait to ride him again. I'll take my camera next time I go and get a picture of him (and me). My mind has been sorta stuck on him since Sunday. I wanted to go riding again today, but the hubby says "how will you get the barn done if you go off riding again?". Party pooper. :)

Beth

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
riding in cold
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 03:59:15 pm »
Well, I think it's never too cold to ride. . well I take that back, anytime it's in the 40's or higher, it's good because YOU aren't freezing.  BUT, you usually have a very frisky horse to deal with in those temps.

Riding in snow is alot of fun, but you have to watch out for the snow getting packed up in your horses hooves, they can get like a big snowball under their feet and then it's hard for them to keep their balance.

I miss having horses.  I have always been on horses since the time I was 6.  I wish I had room for them now.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Horse riding
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 05:36:05 pm »
The last horse I bought was 12 grand and he was worth well over 25 grand so we sell high here too.
Ryan Horn

Violacea

Horse riding
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 03:20:05 am »
My grandfather bought us yet another horse back in January, for $180.  What a steel.  I've been out riding a few times this past week, warm weather is starting to hit,  time to brush up on training once again.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Horse riding
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 09:25:39 am »
It is suppose to warm back up slowly today, and a bee meeting is tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Horse riding
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 12:12:46 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Horse riding
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 05:48:12 pm »
Those are very nice. Last time I heard friesians are quite $$$, right? bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Horse riding
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 09:30:55 pm »
Yes they are.  I bought the mother mare in Germany and had her imported for $22,000. :)  And that was a bargin.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Horse riding
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 07:30:32 am »
Beautiful horses Michael.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Horse riding
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2005, 01:40:55 pm »
Martha Stewart bought 4 for $200,000. bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Horse riding
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 02:03:50 pm »
Martha must know how to bargin.  :)
-------------------

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Horse riding
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 12:32:30 pm »
-------------------

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Horse riding
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2005, 01:05:47 pm »
That's wonderful Michael. A really pretty little family there too.

A friend of mine is waiting for two of her mares to foal. One is due anytime. That one's hind end flattened and softened up a little over 2 weeks ago, and she's been seen pawing the ground and circling during the last week. The wait is terrible. :) I think the only sign we haven't seen yet is a milk flow, or the waxy look on the bag. But she definately looks like the baby has moved into the birth canal.

The other mare is still farther off from foaling, by maybe a month or so.

Beth

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Horse riding
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2005, 09:53:31 pm »
Out of all are animals this year the goats are the only thing kidding, lol, goats :lol:
Ryan Horn

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Horse riding
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2005, 02:20:07 pm »
http://www.bushfarms.com/friesians.htm

More pictures from baby's first day.
-------------------

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Horse riding
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2005, 01:52:12 pm »
http://www.bushfarms.com/images/EileensFoal9.jpg

The foal jumping on the chickens.  :)
-------------------

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Horse riding
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2005, 09:43:37 pm »
What a little spitfire! She really cute, and that's a great shot to catch.

Beth

anything