Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbie in WV  (Read 1776 times)

Offline exp1200

• New Bee
Newbie in WV
« on: June 20, 2008, 10:00:29 pm »
  Hi Everyone,

My name is Tim Wilson and I am new to beekeeping and am in need of some guidance about removing
some honeybees from an old structure on the end of my property.  I would like to hive these bees but am not sure where to start.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Re: Newbie in WV
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 10:40:59 pm »
Take a look in the removal section of the forum. There is a great list of tools you'll need (or may need) for the job.

Basically, wear a suit and gloves. Do what you need to expose the hive, then carefully cut out the brood comb and rubber band it into empty frames. It helps if you cut from the bottom of the combs in frame-sized heights. If you can't access the combs very easily (ie, you opening is edge on), removing outer combs first, which are likely to be honey storage, will give you room to maneuver at the brood comb. Scoop or brush out loose bees into the box. Try to find the queen.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Newbie in WV
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 10:54:35 am »
Tim, welcome to our forum.  YOu are already asking questions, such a good thing.  If you stick around, you will get and find answers.  Good luck with getting those bees, have a most beautiful and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service