Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Selling hives  (Read 6324 times)

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
Selling hives
« on: March 23, 2013, 11:04:39 am »
I'm starting to get way to many hives so I've decided to try and sell some. Can any of you fellow aussies shed some light on what prices I should be asking? I've never looked to see the going rate for hives around here so I have no idea.

Thanks
Shane

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
Re: Selling hives
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 07:36:55 pm »
Hi Shanej, I purchased 6, two story hives in February for $180 each including mlocks and excluders off a Commercial Beek.
He advertised them for $200 and I offered the $180.  The hives are very strong however the box's are fairly tired.

If the gear was better,I would say $220 to $250 at a push.

Cheers

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 09:13:55 pm »
Those prices are pretty reasonably thank you. Like you said though the condition of the equipment would make a difference.
All of my equipment (supers, bottoms and lids etc) are almost brand new so i would hope to get new prices for it.

Thanks again
Shane

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 11:25:17 pm »
Hey maybe you should make nucs and sell them....they retail for around $130 each and the ones I have purchased in the pass were in rough simple home made box's,worth about $5 at best.

Cheers

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 05:41:18 am »
I have about 20 nucs sitting here now. Some 5 frame but most are 4 frames. I was going to grow these into full size but if they nucs sell for good money maybe I should look at selling them the way they are.
Shane

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 07:41:05 am »
Go the nucs Bro! they are hard to get for those who want them...

mine were 5 framers $130 each

steve

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 11:58:02 am »
There's a guy in our club that says he makes more off nuc's than off his honey.  He sells lots of nucs every year.  Good luck Shane

Joe

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 05:40:35 am »
Thanks Joe.
Shane

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 08:00:22 am »
I sell nucs for $ 80 each.
If you are selling hives with near new woodware consider the cost the supers, Bottom board, lid. 20 frames and 20 foundations ( maybe an excluder, SHB traps) add paint and the work...and you will be surprised.
I would have to say that it is impossible to make any money from selling hives for $ 200 or even more.
But then I don't make any money selling nucs either..but I love making them!!

Offline west end apiary

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 09:43:26 am »
I had a go at selling hives this last year and have been selling 4 frame nucs for $120 and I sold a ten frame double super hive for $300, I think any thing less than that and you are under selling yourself.
I had no troouble selling the nucs on Gumtree, Also the $120 was without the box, that was frames and bees only.
I would potentially make the ply wood 5 frames and sell them for $140 including the box for this season coming.

Good luck you should do fine, You may find that you have a slow time until spring comes.
Nick

Offline sambarman

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 08:27:58 pm »
I'm starting to get way to many hives so I've decided to try and sell some. Can any of you fellow aussies shed some light on what prices I should be asking? I've never looked to see the going rate for hives around here so I have no idea.

Thanks
You shouldn't have any trouble getting $250 for  a strong two stacker.
Critter Getters - Wildlife, Animal Damage & Pest Control
Melbourne, Australia Ph: (03) 59673051 E: admin@wildpro.com.au

Offline fshrgy99

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 10:15:20 am »
Howdy Mates!
Here's a thought ....
I just checked into buying spring nucs up here in Canada and was told to bring my own container (box) or the nuc would come in a cardboard nuc box for an extra $7.

Might be a way for you to go

d

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 10:26:17 pm »
Hi Guys,

I thought I'd better look into this again as I really need to downgrade  :-\ Working a full time job during the week and then spending all weekend every weekend working the bees is taking its toll on my life   :(

I have been figuring out the cost of my wooden ware, painting etc and it adds up in price a bit   :shock:

So I'm thinking for a 9 frame full depth single hive with new or in very good condition wooden ware, ready to add honey super = $220

I would rather sell the hives as single depth as it will be easier for people to transport them and it will save me time building supers and frames... and that's the goal, saving me time.

What do you guys think?
Shane