Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Marking Queens  (Read 1298 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Marking Queens
« on: August 02, 2013, 04:01:07 pm »
What kind of paint is used to mark queens? I'm sure it has to be a certain kind because a lot of paint is oil/petro based.

What's the name of the contraption used to catch a new queen? Queen catcher?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Marking Queens
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 05:58:27 pm »
>What kind of paint is used to mark queens?

Any kind of enamel works.

>I'm sure it has to be a certain kind because a lot of paint is oil/petro based.

Most enamel is, but it works fine.  Enamel pens are at the hardware store int he paint department.

>What's the name of the contraption used to catch a new queen? Queen catcher?

Hair clip queen catcher.  Then you need a marking tube, and a queen muff is nice...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesqueenrearing.htm#colors

I would buy a pen of next year's color and this year's color.  Mark a few hundred drones with next year's color (they will be dead by next year) then, when you are comfortable with your method, try a queen.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 10:19:12 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 07:58:52 pm »
Everything Michael said is correct. I however don't follow the yearly color codes because I mark my queens only to make them easy to find. I use the Uni Posca pen, it's waterbased. The color that is easy for me to find is red. I know this doesn't follow the rules but it works for me.
Later,
Ray