Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Tucson Arizona  (Read 3789 times)

Offline rob brinkerhoff

• New Bee
    • Redstone Queen Bees
Hello from Tucson Arizona
« on: September 10, 2013, 09:43:14 am »
Hi all, new member from Tucson Arizona. Looking forward interacting with you all.
my facebook page

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Hello from Tucson Arizona
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 12:42:25 pm »
Welcome to the forum.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Moots

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 01:14:07 pm »
Rob,
Welcome to the forum...What's your story? 

New Beek? Experienced Beek?  Beek wanna be???

No matter which, there's a little something here for everyone, enjoy your stay.  :)

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 02:58:05 pm »
Howdy rob, welcome to the board.

Offline rob brinkerhoff

• New Bee
    • Redstone Queen Bees
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 04:53:27 pm »
Rob,
Welcome to the forum...What's your story? 

New Beek? Experienced Beek?  Beek wanna be???

No matter which, there's a little something here for everyone, enjoy your stay.  :)

I am a new beekeeper, 1 year. And I have cought the bug.

You can check out the link to my beekeeping facebook page. See my signature line.
Lots of good photos there. Thank
my facebook page

Moots

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 05:41:35 pm »

I am a new beekeeper, 1 year. And I have cought the bug.

You can check out the link to my beekeeping facebook page. See my signature line.
Lots of good photos there. Thank

Rob,
I took a quick peek at your facebook page....looks like you've got an impressive setup and are quite involved for someone 1 year in.  I'm in my first year also, started mid January and can fully relate to the "caught the bug" sentiment.  I always tell everyone that Beekeeping in addictive.

Would have thought AHB would be a problem in your area?  :?

Offline rob brinkerhoff

• New Bee
    • Redstone Queen Bees
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 07:24:55 pm »

Would have thought AHB would be a problem in your area?  :?

You would think so, right. AHB is something that has to be closely watched around here. Furtunately, I have not had any issues, but again I've only been at it for a year. All my queens are open mated and some are at least third generation. All my original stock comes from local beekeeper how also open mates.

So far, the only trait that I can see in some of my bees that is AHB typical, is runniess (sp?) and I try (or at least think that I am) nip that in the bud, ASAP. I think that most of my bees are quite gentle and stay on the comb well. Go figure...
my facebook page

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 10:33:05 pm »
Welcome!
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Moots

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 11:16:00 pm »

You would think so, right. AHB is something that has to be closely watched around here. Furtunately, I have not had any issues, but again I've only been at it for a year. All my queens are open mated and some are at least third generation. All my original stock comes from local beekeeper how also open mates.

So far, the only trait that I can see in some of my bees that is AHB typical, is runniess (sp?) and I try (or at least think that I am) nip that in the bud, ASAP. I think that most of my bees are quite gentle and stay on the comb well. Go figure...

Rob,
That's awesome, looking at your photos and your protective gear, or should I say lack of it  :), it was pretty obvious that your bees don't have AHB traits.  From some stories I've heard I kind of had the impression that what you're doing couldn't be done in that area...Nice to know that's not the case.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 12:05:28 am »
Nice! Welcome!  My folks have a house in Tuscon. I typically HATE big cities, or i should say the PEOPLE in big cities, but Tuscon seems to somehow escape the plague of angry immoral uncaring people that plague other large cities I have been to. Always enjoy myself when there!!!
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 12:28:52 am »
Welcome to the forum, Rob.  Nice looking set up.  Good luck to you and your bees

Joe

Offline rob brinkerhoff

• New Bee
    • Redstone Queen Bees
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 03:13:55 am »
Nice! Welcome!  My folks have a house in Tuscon. I typically HATE big cities, or i should say the PEOPLE in big cities, but Tuscon seems to somehow escape the plague of angry immoral uncaring people that plague other large cities I have been to. Always enjoy myself when there!!!

Well, OldMech, I agree. Tucson, to me, is a large small town, not a shabby place to live.

I did design my bee suite to increase my awareness and to be very sensitive to AFB traits.  Seriously, it is a very hot climate in the summer, a full suite is brutal, plus I would not go into a large hive brood nest without a veil and a smoker. Joe Clemens, whom I got all my original stock from, is a very experienced local beekeeper in these parts and he does not wear a veil when working his own stock. Ask me in another year about AHB....

Thanks for he welcome, good vibe in this forum.
my facebook page

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 01:03:29 pm »
Rob,
I just visited a friend in Las Vegas. He was interested in getting bees. I was going to set him up until I checked with a local beek that told me that they were working AHB's. I discourged him from getting them. Please keep me informed as to whether you have any trouble keeping your queens from being replaced by AHB queens.
AHB's are not something new beeks should play with.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rob brinkerhoff

• New Bee
    • Redstone Queen Bees
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 01:27:24 pm »
Rob,
I just visited a friend in Las Vegas. He was interested in getting bees. I was going to set him up until I checked with a local beek that told me that they were working AHB's. I discourged him from getting them. Please keep me informed as to whether you have any trouble keeping your queens from being replaced by AHB queens.
AHB's are not something new beeks should play with.
Jim

Will do Jim. Though, currently I am not too worried about my queens being replaced by AHB queens. My larger concern is open mating with feral drones. Time will tell, though. I need to run the experiment on my own.
my facebook page

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 01:10:57 pm »
Good luck. If it works out, I may just get my buddy started in beekeeping. He already has a vail and smoker.
Jim
Ben Franklin

anything