Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Population...  (Read 2148 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Bee Population...
« on: September 25, 2007, 12:29:06 am »
I am curious to know, what the average decrease in bee popultion is for this time of year...I am seeing dead bees outside the hive on the ground in the mornings...I can't tell if they are drones..cuz they are dead, and curled up kinda...not a mass of dead, but maybe 10 or so...

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Re: Bee Population...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 10:44:50 am »
Probably foragers caught out and couldn't make it in, and probably nothing to worry about. Nonetheless, look for the drone eyes on the dead soldiers to confirm if they are drones. More importantly, look for signs of mites. Do they have lace wing or DWV? Short abdomens?
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 09:43:07 pm »
You know I had alot of Questions like that when I stared Beekeeping myself I couldn't get them answered so I started paying attention to my hives.My are were I keep my bees is unique.I know it is early spring when the peach tree blooms.That is January sometime then 300 feet up the hill is another 10 peach trees they bloom about 3 weeks later I guess becaust they are a little higher up.But I had to sort out when the seasons were around here because it can be summer or spring all the time .You might have to make some observations and take notes
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 10:46:41 am »
You know I do make notes...and then I read stuff on this forum which is great..and then I start to see new things...hahaha

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 11:58:43 am »
Hi DVD :)

Sounds to me as if you're witnessing a normal population expiration - larger numbers of deceased from the larger population that grew with the Spring/Summer nectar flow.  These are likely workers who've been working their wings off collecting nectar, which reduces their life expectancy to ~ 5 weeks (as opposed to a few months when over-wintering)*.

FWIW I'm seeing quite an increase in dead and dying workers as well... even with the yellowjackets quickly devouring & carrying away any that can no longer defend themselves

Cheers,
Dane

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 12:44:44 pm »
Thanks Dane...this is all so new...

Shar

anything