Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Finally got stung a couple times. stupid me  (Read 1704 times)

Offline uglyfrozenfish

• House Bee
Finally got stung a couple times. stupid me
« on: May 25, 2011, 04:15:54 pm »
So I got my first package of bees in the mail this morning.  These bees were put in the mail on Saturday.  It is wednesday.  Think they were a little tired and hungry?  I assumed they would be and gave them some honey.  I watched them start eating it right away.  After giving them about two cups I decided it was time to hive them.  So here is the second kick in the pants.  It is raining and stormy here today and it will be tommorrow.  I decided it was best just to get the girls into their new home so they could go to the feeder and start acclamating to their home during the bad weather.  I direct released the queen and dumped out the bees.  They were NOT happy.  buzzing all over me, box, etc.  I got most of the girls out.  Put in the  rest of the frames, put the hive top feeder on and closed the top.  I started walking back to my pole barn and had to keep shaking bees off.  They didn't seem aggressive, just maybe lost.  They were clinging to my hood, and suit.  Got in the pole barn and couldn't see or here any more bees.  So I took off my jacket and there must have been a few attatched to me still.  I took one in the love handle through the shirt and one to the back of the hand. 
I learned three things.  First I am not allergic to honey bee stings!!! :-D
Second, when ordering package bees in Jan/Feb.  make sure the weather is going to be nice when they arrive or try and reschedule there arrival. ;)
Third, have my wife check my suit for bees before I take it off just to be sure.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: Finally got stung a couple times. stupid me
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 04:26:30 pm »
No biggie.  As you continue, they'll be times you'll get a whole lot more than 2!  You made only one mistake, that I learned the hard way too. :-P  Don't mess with the girls when it's rainy and stormy if you can avoid it.  If you have to, use smoke and hope for the best.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 04:33:25 pm »
I hope you know where that honey you gave them came from.  If not you may very well have spread disease into the colony. 
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 04:37:15 pm »
not much you can do about when packages come.  you just deal with the weather.

good news on the allergy thing, though  :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 05:29:00 pm »
At least they did'nt march up the ol' pants!! :-D

There are easier ways to install packages than shaking them all out, I think John has some on the main beemaster website.
Rick

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 07:07:09 pm »
I hate it when bees climb up the shorts.

Offline Dange

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 11:32:03 pm »
This is my first year at this.  But I really recommend John's way of installing a package. It worked real nice for me with know stings.

anything