Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings for New Durham, NH ...1st year beekeeper  (Read 3139 times)

Offline pvtpilot

• New Bee
Greetings for New Durham, NH ...1st year beekeeper
« on: November 03, 2006, 10:09:08 pm »
Dear fellow beekeepers
  My name is Rich and I live in the "Lakes Region" of south-central New Hampshire.  This past Spring my friend Greg offered to get me started with beekeeping. I have a 40 acre farm with a fruit tree orchard, so beekeeping seemed like a natural fit.   I started with 2 packages of Italian bees, feed them, and wathched them flourish.  At the very begining I was a mere spectator... until the first swarm settled on an apple tree... then, the second swarm (which was captured). My rude awakening was that I was clueless as to what I should be doing, when, and how.
 So far, I am pretty much self taught and find forums of experienced beekeepers, like this, are a big BIG help. 

Thanks for being here...!

Rich

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Greetings for New Durham, NH ...1st year beekeeper
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 10:15:48 pm »
Welcome, glad you found the forum. I have found a great wealth of information here as well.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 02:46:02 am »
Rich:

Welcome Aboard!!!! It's a great time of year to sit back and take in EVERYTHING that you need to ready for Winter (before it's too late) and Spring (while you have plenty of time to consume it all) We all know how bees can quickly outgrow your available hives, but close watching and pre-planning for such events will surely make that wonderful 40 acres you have florish.

The forums are a wonderful place for all of us - I have learned an incredible amount from some of the most prolific writers who selfishly share all their experiences here. Feel free to always post anything that comes to mind and remember that our search feature is a great way to search  nearly 3 years of topics archived, many of which may show dozens and dozens of views and opinions.

Either way, this is a great resource for all of us and I' really glad you found us :)

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 09:57:54 am »
You will love this forum
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Keith

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 11:00:01 am »
Hi Rich, Im also from N.H. Pittsfield just getting started this year. Im planing on taking a class that Pawtuckaway bee keepers is putting. They have a meeting on monday for members and new members to sign up. I read all these post on here about the problems we have starting out. So I thought it would be best to have it thought to me. Maybe it will save on time and money. I beleive its Karen Penrod putting on the classes.
                             Hope this helps you. I see you used Italians. I was thinking of going with russians. Do to climate in this area.

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 10:25:35 pm »
Pvtpilot, Looks like you live up "on the ridge" . I used to live between The Alton circle and Dot's Lunch before I bought my house in So. Maine. Still have a few friends around there. What do you intend to do to keep the bears away from your hives. They're around there, I've seen them.
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline pvtpilot

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 09:38:41 pm »
Hi Woodchopper,
   I'm not on THE ridge, I'm on the "other" ridge... Merrymeeting Lake side.  I'm at about 900' elevation and look across the valley at Prospect Mtn.   Live in New Durham, work in Alton.
Bears have made several visits here. Using electric fence to deter. Each hive also has double nylon strapping that's ratched down tight...  might do nothing more than make me feel better.
   Thanks for the reply and look forward to chatting again.

Rich

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 09:02:04 pm »
Hello Rich, Any chance you can post a picture of your electric fence set-up? I'm looking to put our hives in Maine right behind our garage and I'm looking for ideas. I can run a non-solar set-up there but am unsure of what I can use for wire. Kencove Fence Co. sells wire mesh netting but they make you buy 80 something feet of it. I plan on having the garage on one side and electric fence on the other three sides. Because we're only there on weekends I need something that'll keep the raccoons,skunks,and occasional bears at bay. A friend of mine lives up on the peak of the ridge and I saw what a bear had done to his bird feeder pole. I can imagine what a bear could do to a hive . Thanks,Greg
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau