Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Amateur beekeepers are to blame for bee die offs...  (Read 3857 times)

Offline IndianaBrown

• New Bee
    • Family Homeschool Blog
Amateur beekeepers are to blame for bee die offs...
« on: May 09, 2008, 11:47:38 am »
According to the biggest commercial honey producer in Britian.  :?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=565096&in_page_id=1770

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Amateur beekeepers are to blame for bee die offs...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 11:55:33 am »
you watch. by the end of this year, the backyard beekeeper will either be no more, or be so regulated in the EU, they will fade out.  i am sure it is only an oversight that caused them to escape regulation in the first place.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 12:02:14 pm »
I think it goes to prove that no matter the awards or accreditation a person might accomplish in his or her lifetime. If you start with stupid you normally end with stupid.
He makes a few good points but ultimately to me he seems like a businessman that has lost some hives to disease CCD whatever and who doesn’t like competition from the little man.

“Most beekeepers are appallingly trained. There is no reason why amateurs should have bees.”

That must be the most egotistical statement I have ever read. This forum alone proves the statement false. Just because people do not stop their everyday job to become a commercial beekeeper doesn’t mean they do not possess the knowledge to properly care for their bees, on this forum I have come across some very intelligent people who can probably figure out proper treatment procedures

Keith

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 12:29:09 pm »
"Mr Spacy said that the varroa mite, which introduces the varroa virus to hives and kills the bees, is now resistant to all legal methods of control because of the misuse of treatments, including antibiotics which are available to bee keepers without prescription."

The varroa virus, huh? Who is well trained and who isn't? Interestingly, I've heard more stories about commercial beeks misusing chemicals and antibiotics than amateurs.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 12:31:43 pm »
Sheesh.  What a jerk.

I extracted honey in my garage last year.  Tasted fine and didn't kill anyone as far as I know.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 12:39:50 pm »
He sounds like a few other "Businessmen" I've encountered over the years.  I'm in this business now, so lets get everyone else out, by any way possible! :'(

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 05:18:48 pm »
Some people got to remember that when they started they to were amateurs. And if no one else started then beekeeping would eventually die off.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 01:07:01 pm by JordanM »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 01:04:10 pm »
Of course they should outlaw all of his competition that is under 4,500 hives.  Anyone with that few hives is obviously incompetent.  ;)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 01:28:08 pm »
I guess Mr. Spacey was born with a smoker in one hand, hive tool in another, and his mum, played thousands of recordings of expert beekeepers lecturing on proper techniques while this little biddy expert was still in the womb.

Was his mum an expert, his dad? Then he's prob just a half breed, half amateur/expert, oops, I bet he had to get some training!!!

God forbid little Tony wasn't always an expert, and to think he started beekeeping as a 1/2 expert, uh oh! :shock:

He should be fined for those pre-expert beekeeping yrs!

Hey, what should we do with our hives, now that Tony has us all figured out? :?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything