Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: smoker storage  (Read 2663 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
smoker storage
« on: July 05, 2011, 11:16:25 am »
After you are finished with the smoker how do u store it? Do u let it burn out then put it away? I hang mine on the chain link fence then put it away if I remember. I seen a gut store his in a 5 gal plastic bucket still lit. I questioned him on it and he said it smothers it and never had a problem. I seen some with a cork in the hole what's that do? Smother it?

Offline uglyfrozenfish

• House Bee
Re: smoker storage
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 11:27:26 am »
I carry a plastic coffee can filled with water with me.  When I am done with the smoker I dump out the contents and dowse them with the water.  Then my smoker goes into the milk crate with the rest of my tools.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 11:30:37 am »
i lay mine down in the back of my truck.if im leaving from the beeyard i will empty it because it will smoke alot when you are on the road.people will think your truck is on fire with all that smoke.had a trooper pull me over because of the smoke it was making.     ....schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 11:49:55 am »
Same as schawee. I just stuff a wad of paper towel in the spout so there's no flow of air through the smoker.

Offline Algonam

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 12:25:43 pm »
Whaaaat !
I can't seem to keep mine going long enough. It goes out everytime just after a few puffs. Often I am relighting it as the hives are open.
I have leaves and dead grass with some spruce needles.
What do you use that keeps going for so long?

Oh Canada!

Offline tandemrx

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 01:21:41 pm »
I do what many do and that is to stuff the spout with green grasses and leave that there.

Then when I pack up I just put the smoker in my approx 12 gallon galvanized bucket that has all my smoker fuel and lighter in it and put the top on.  Probably some minor risk of a smoldering fire, but the lid is pretty tight and any residual embers in the smoker after stoppering up the spout with grass likely is starved for oxygen.

I prefer this to putting the stopped up smoker in the back of the truck bed as it may tumble around and then really cause problems.

After I put it in my covered steel bucket I could probably even put it in the back of the cab as it doesn't smoke anymore at this point, but nice to not have that residual smoke smell in the cab.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 02:04:53 pm »
I took a big stick and whittled down one end to where it would fit snuggly into the end of the smoker, it will make the smoke back up inside and put the fire out.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 02:05:25 pm »
I use a large steel chicken water feeder.  It works mint.  If fits perfect, squeezing the bellow a bit.  I stuff grass in the smoker, stick it in the feeder, slide the top on and toss it in the trunk, back seat, back of truck, or whatever. No worries at all.

probably the three gallon one maybe two, I got mine at farm and fleet.

http://allanimaldepot.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=25
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 03:30:03 pm »
I use to cork mine to snuff it out, but the cork wore out or burned out years ago.   Now if it ain't windy, I might dump it out on the gravel or let it just burn itself out in the smoker if I can't dump it.   

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 05:57:39 pm »
Thought mine was out and the van still smells of cedar smoke.  Now I plug it.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 08:21:05 pm »
Army surplus ammo box.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 08:32:27 pm »
I carry a 1 1/2 gallon galvanized bucket with my lighter and pine needles and lint in it along with the smoker. To the smoker I have a large heavy bolt with two washers that I put into the spout. The smoker is always out before I get back to the truck. -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.