Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Storing new equipment....  (Read 2080 times)

Offline PhillyJoe

• New Bee
Storing new equipment....
« on: September 03, 2014, 09:06:02 am »

I will be paining my new hives this weekend and I have a few questions...

Do you just store your new hives in the garage or shed?

I was planning on putting them in the yard where they will be in the spring. I read an article where a fellow did that and his neighbors starting complaining for months about stings. They even took him to court. The case was dropped when he told the judge he hadn't even put bee's in there yet, haha.

I figured that since my children are as excited about this as I am (and they can't seem to control their tongue - telling our neighbors). That this would help them get used to this..

Thoughts..

Thx.

Joe

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Storing new equipment....
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 10:06:28 am »
It would be fine if you don't install the foundation until spring. Screen the entrance to keep out pests. After all, they are going to sit outside for years starting next spring.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Storing new equipment....
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 12:29:40 pm »
It would be fine if you don't install the foundation until spring. Screen the entrance to keep out pests. After all, they are going to sit outside for years starting next spring.

x2
I have empty hives in my yard. Caught a swarm in one this year. I usually just leave the top and base on the stand. When I get a swarm/cut out, I put them in a nuc. When I am ready to put them in a standard box, I add a medium box, put the frames in it and remove the nuc. Works real well with minimum confusion for the bees. They are returning to the same spot, just looks a little different but the base looks the same.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything