Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Supered today and a mold question?  (Read 1408 times)

Offline RangerBrad

• House Bee
Supered today and a mold question?
« on: March 13, 2011, 04:53:32 pm »
Hey folks, Well flowers are blooming and bees are boiling. Put my first super of the season on my one remaining hive(other died during the winter but a new 4# package is on there way from Hardemans).
 While gathering frames for honey super I came across one container that held moldy frames from last year(queen had laid in honey super and these are the dead ones. No more supering without queen excluder for me.). These are all plastic foundatin frames and have black comb and mold were the dead were. I'm thinking just scrape off affected comb down to plastic and introduce. Is this good enough or is there a better idea? What say yal? Thank's, Brad

P.S. The super I put on today is from non moldy frames and I installed it without smoking bees first. Man that hive was rolling I'll never do that agin without using smoke wewww. Brad
If the only dog you can here in the hunt is yours, your probaly missing the best part of the chase.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Supered today and a mold question?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 05:49:48 pm »
I would put it on the hive as is and let the bees clean the mold. Save a lot of wax making.

You should have heeded one or more of the many posts saying to "ALWAYS USE SMOKE". for your benefit and the bees.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline RangerBrad

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 09:02:46 pm »
yes, your right to allways use smoke. I was thinking that removing the effected comb would give clearer honey. Brad
If the only dog you can here in the hunt is yours, your probaly missing the best part of the chase.

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 10:36:01 pm »
wouldn't recomend the queen excluder for honey production.  if she lays in the supers make sure she is in the brood chamber throw on a queen excluder before you pull the supers prop the top for another entrance and let the bees raise the brood.  i find queen excluders work more as honey excluders in the hive making alot of congestion before they enter into the supers.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!