Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hive component size question  (Read 4904 times)

Offline Keystonepaul

• New Bee
hive component size question
« on: December 29, 2008, 12:14:32 pm »
Many have said to make your component parts all  the same- for instance all mediums. Makes since because as others have said- you have greater flexability and much less a collection of "parts" you no longer have use for as the years pile up.  So my Question:
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using mediums for the bee's brood chamber and thier honey storage when compared to using large for this purpose and using mediums for the honey I will actually be gathering? IF that makes sense.  Thanks much, Keystonepaul 

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
Re: hive component size question
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 12:27:38 pm »
Many have said to make your component parts all  the same- for instance all mediums. Makes since because as others have said- you have greater flexability and much less a collection of "parts" you no longer have use for as the years pile up.  So my Question:
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using mediums for the bee's brood chamber and thier honey storage when compared to using large for this purpose and using mediums for the honey I will actually be gathering? IF that makes sense.  Thanks much, Keystonepaul 

I think you pretty much answered your own question. Utilizing Mediums are lighter therefore easier to work with, you can use some of the surplus to feed your bees during the fall or early spring. Many Beeks here like using Mediums exclusively. The only down side that I see is the extra cost of keeping more mediums for the brood ( 3 mediums vs. 2 Deeps ) if you keep many hives, but then again, that's just me.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 12:40:49 pm »
For me the cost of more equipment is more than offset by the ease of handling & ability to use anything anywhere I might want to.   The peace of mind knowing I will most likely be able to manage my hives anytime without depending on others for many years to come is priceless. BTW I have 8frm meds, mighta been able to get by with reg 10frm but the weight & width would have gotten to me in a couple of years so decided to just go light all the way from the start to have matching equipment forever.  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 04:44:53 pm »
I like the idea of all mediums, but I think that medium nucs would be harder to come by than deep nucs, if you were the buyer.  Just a thought.  I'll be doing deeps for brood chambers, and then mediums and shallows for honey supers.  I will be able to offer custom made nucs in mediums or shallows though if I were to go into that.  Simply put a honey super of empty drawn comb between the two deeps of my hive... then after there is brood here, I can shake the bees off the shallow - or medium frames, into the deeps.  Then add queen excluder.  then honey super - now brood - on top.  the bees will come back into the medium or shallow to cover the brood.  Then I can remove this entire box and split it into two nucs for the mediumor leave it as a whole box for the shallows.  Then add a queen cell to each nuc.  Let the queen hatch and mate, then you have a nuc!  I like having the variety of sizes as a supplier, because I would be able to offer a larger variety of product.

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 04:56:30 pm »
I like having the variety of sizes as a supplier, because I would be able to offer a larger variety of product.

And that's why they have the sizes they do, so that a person can be as flexable or limited as they wish to be. 
I use all medium 8 frames because I can handle them most of the time, whereas the deeps are impossible.  I can also do cut comb or chunk honey from mediums but if I wanted to do true comb honey I'd have to go to another size box just for the comb setup. 
So, while mediums gives hobbiests a lot of options with the same equipment it isn't, by any means, the end all.  Use the equipment that makes the most sense ofr your operation.

If I wanted to sell nucs to users of deeps and mediums I'd use both systems side by side.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 08:21:39 pm »
>What are the advantages and disadvantages of using mediums for the bee's brood chamber and thier honey storage when compared to using large for this purpose and using mediums for the honey I will actually be gathering?

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeseightframemedium.htm
http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#lighterboxes

I think they winter better as the communication between frames is better because of the gap between the boxes.  The queen moves up and down boxes quicker than in deeps.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 08:50:38 pm »
well I am just opposite, I like 10 frames equipment and deeps for brood and mediums (some times in the south we can use one for brood chamber with a deep) for supers, a 8 frame medium to me is like a 5 frame deep nuc, I use deeps are for brood and mediums can be the extra brood chamber in the south but mostly for honey collection, if a 10 frame medium with honey gets to heavy for me then they make and sale shallows supers which is lighter than 8 frame mediums,  but one advantage i see using all mediums in the standard size frame across the board, that the only thing I like about all mediums, thats not enough for me to change., people seem to like both ways, in the end you will choose your style and I wish you luck.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 05:57:09 am by TwT »
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 08:29:11 am »
I priced out the options for a beginner that was getting a hive for Christmas,  and all-medium was about 30% higher cost than deeps.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 07:19:28 pm »
I priced out the options for a beginner that was getting a hive for Christmas,  and all-medium was about 30% higher cost than deeps.

There was question a while back about why commercial beeks didn't use all mediums, that answers the question from the pocket book.

That aside, I made my choice of all mediums based on several factors and cost was one of the lesser considered items.
1.  I'm a hobbiest.
2.  I have health issues, so what configuration makes the most sense for me (Weight, weight, weight).
3.  I want to be able to do splits, conbines, super, hive balancing etc, with the greatest of ease.
4.  I can build some of my own equipment.
5.  What other types or style of equipment do I want (ie SBB, migratory or telescopic tops, queen excluders, etc).
6.  Do I need Grade A equipment.
7.  Will factory 2nds get me what I need at a price I can afford with a sufficient length of use involved.

I recommend people make such an evaluation before they make their 1st purchase.  Once they've made their decission they can buy accordingly.
If they decide they want to do something different latter, they can.

For me, the extra cost associated with the medium supers is offset because of health issues, bulk purchase of 2nds, in addition to making my own stuff.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Keystonepaul

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 02:19:58 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts folks. Some good thoughts for sure.  Keystonepaul

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 04:59:42 pm »
I use all 8 frame mediums and even though it was more money it was worth it to me for the fact that   it simplifies things by having all one size and I have also had 3 back surgeries and do not want to mess it up anymore than it already is.
I figure its an investment for a hobby I hope to be able to do for years so a little more money is worth it to me.
The other thing I wanted to say is that you can get medium nucs, I have.
There are suppliers that will do custom nucs, I just ordered 7 for this spring and he is doing them all in medium nucs on foundationless frames, per my request.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 06:37:16 am »
I use all 8 frame mediums and even though it was more money it was worth it to me for the fact that   it simplifies things by having all one size and I have also had 3 back surgeries and do not want to mess it up anymore than it already is.
I figure its an investment for a hobby I hope to be able to do for years so a little more money is worth it to me.
The other thing I wanted to say is that you can get medium nucs, I have.
There are suppliers that will do custom nucs, I just ordered 7 for this spring and he is doing them all in medium nucs on foundationless frames, per my request.

if you don't mind answering this question, is there a extra charge for the custom orders?
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 11:03:16 am »
There's a new beekeeping supplier in North Carolina that was willing to build custom frames for me!  $0.45 each, with discounts for larger numbers.  The prices are outstanding, and the customer service is even better!

Here's the web address:

http://orrbeesupply.web.officelive.com/default.aspx

Good Luck!

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 11:09:50 am »
There's a new beekeeping supplier in North Carolina that was willing to build custom frames for me!  $0.45 each

That's pretty amazing,  they want $0.55 each for their frames but will do custom ones 10 cent cheaper????   Or is that 45 cents a volume discounted price?
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 11:43:42 am »
TwT,
        I asked him what the extra cost would be and he said that he could just make up a medium nuc and it would only be the cost of materials but that he would minimize it and could even use the cardboard nucs if I wanted to make it even cheaper.
So we left it at seeing how he could do it the cheapest for me and still be the best situation for the bees.
I don't think it could be much more than the regular price of the nuc, but I'll let you know what the outcome is.

anything