Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: crush and strain extraction  (Read 2588 times)

Offline crane

• New Bee
crush and strain extraction
« on: June 07, 2012, 12:59:09 pm »
Can someone explain the crush and strain extraction process? I have two hives. I had a problem with one of them(low population) so I  removed the queen excluder in hopes that the bees would build brood in the upper medium.
The other was well populated so I left the excluder on and they have filled the upper with honey. I don't own an extractor and none are to be found in this area because evryone is using theirs now since it is harvest time.
Since I only have the one super I figured I would just crush and strain this one this year. As a newbee I do not have the slightest idea how to o this. Can anyone help?

BTW The frames on the full hive are plastic foundation in a langstroth. If that makes any difference.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: crush and strain extraction
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 01:54:17 pm »
http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com

linda has a great section on crush and strain.  it is as it sounds.  you get a big pan, cut out the comb, or in your case scrape it off i think, and use something to crush the comb.   then you set the comb in something...cheese cloth, paint strainer, etc., over  a container (5 gal bucket works) and let the honey drip out of the crushed comb. 

the warmer the room, the faster the drip.  i usually leave mine 24 hours.  then you may met the wax for whatever you want...including rewaxing your plastic foundation.

watch lindas video.  it's better than my explanation!   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 02:48:31 pm »
There are many ways to do it, but with plastic foundation I generally use a cake slicer type spatula to scrape off the cells of honey onto a glass cutting board (you don't want to damage the foundation or scrape off all of the wax coating), then mash up with something like a potato masher, then scrape into a clean home depot paint strainer stretched over a 5 gallon food grade bucket.  Let it drain and settle.  Squeeze and tighten paint strainer as necessary.  Let bees clean up ball of wax.
-Mike

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 04:36:54 pm »
My first year, I made a gizzy to support the frames that comes in handy when inspecting or harvesting.  I scraped the cells (and the honey) off and then I let the frames drip into the tub for several hours. I think a Cap Scrapper may be a better way just to uncap the cells, but I wanted the wax too. Then I strained the wax out of honey (first coarse then a fine strainer) and put the honey into jars and made candles from the wax after letting the bees clean it.  Then I gave the frames back to the bees and apologized to them for stealing their hooch.

Great fun!   :-D

Offline bulldog

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 10:12:33 pm »
i use some old 1 gallon ice cream buckets ( washed out, of course ), a strainer and a potato masher. the bottom bucket is where your honey ends up after being mashed and sitting in the top bucket with 1/4 inch holes drilled into the bottom with a fine mesh wire strainer in between the top and bottom buckets.sometimes the holes get blocked so you have to stir it around a bit. it's a little messy and it takes a long time, but its not too terrible.
Confucius say "He who stand on toilet is high on pot"

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 12:54:01 am »

Linda has a pretty good video on crush and strain, the other ideas will work also.  But if you are in a local club or have a beek friend with an extractor They may let you use theirs and even help.  This my first year and I extracted 4 supers after spring flow, a friend from the local bee club help me at his bee house.  I gave him a couple of onion sacks of pecans.

Joe

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 09:18:35 pm »
Sundog you should try turning them upside down next time you may have more run out :-D
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.