Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Willow, Maple, Cherry, Dandelion...  (Read 8619 times)

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
Re: Willow, Maple, Cherry, Dandelion... + pear & plum
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 05:32:45 pm »
Thanques for the kind words all.

Here's some new images... seems the bees like the pear trees after all.  Perhaps they weren't quite ready before.  The flowers now are all open and fragrant.

They're still all over the cherries and maple and seem to like the plums as well.

& some bee butt for bennettoid.  ;)

Cheers,
Dane

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Willow, Maple, Cherry, Dandelion...
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 06:05:39 pm »
OH I just love these photos with the bees. So many photos, not enough computers!! (meaning I am using them for my background)

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 06:07:58 pm »
OH I just love these photos with the bees. So many photos, not enough computers!! (meaning I am using them for my background)

I'm glad you like them Annette!  Let me know you're screen size/resolution and I'll send you the image to best fit.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 08:43:12 pm »
Uh-Oh!! How do I find the screen size/resolution?  I know nothing about computers.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 11:55:26 am »
CBEE & Cindi,

I just got back from a 3 day trip for work and my lawn turned into a dandelion meadow and not a single one was being worked by my bees.  I saw several orchard mason bees but none of my honeybees!  I think I remember us all talking about this last year too, how the bees were ignoring the dandelions.  Kinda strange.  Maybe we just found a new puzzle piece for the CCD issue!  lol

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2008, 12:37:45 pm »
Dandelions are worked when there's nothing more appealing blooming.  They were working them in my backyard over the weekend because the fruit trees are just getting revved up around here.  My weeping cherry is in full bloom, as is the Bradford pear next door, but the apples and wild cherries are just opening.  The maples are almost done.  We've been so dry here, no rain for over two weeks, only today are we supposed to get a nice soaking two-day rainstorm, finally.  April showers and May flowers and all that!

Dane, you mentioned a few posts up that you were moving - not off that beautiful piece of property you posted those arial photos of awhile back?  :shock: 

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 10:54:10 pm »
Dandelions in full out blooming, narry a bee on them, many little teeny teeny bees, about 1/2 inch long, the ones that make their burrows down by our pool, they are having a hay day, but the honeybees, well..... nope.....beautiful and most wonderful life that we are all living.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2008, 12:09:29 am »
Uh-Oh!! How do I find the screen size/resolution?  I know nothing about computers.

Hi Annette - sorry for the lag in replying (mad busy here).  I'll send you a link to wallpaper sized images as soon as I get time to make some.  Only difference would be it might look a bit nicer/clearer because - and here's your technogeeky term of the day - there'll be no pixelation, which is what happens when you enlarge digital images a bit much.

Dane, you mentioned a few posts up that you were moving - not off that beautiful piece of property you posted those arial photos of awhile back?  :shock: 
Hehe, not away - I'm actually moving to that property full time.  :-D

On the dandelions - there are loads of them around the area here.  More than I recall seeing from previous years.  I don't see the bees working them aggressively but for certain I catch one here and there.  Also seeing that telltale bright orange pollen coming in with regularity. 

I feel happy knowing they have such a diverse diet as that is probably the most healthful.  Good to have dining options! heh

Cheers,
Dane

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 12:11:53 am »
Hi Dane

No problem. When you get a chance, and feel like doing it, sure post the new resolutions. Glad all is well for you.

Take care
Annette

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2008, 12:33:27 am »
Dane,
Gorgeous pictures.  I'm no photographer, but your images are great!  A little off subject, but:
My hives are in an orchard where I've planted dwarf fruit trees.  However there is one very tall apple tree that was old before we bought the property years ago.  Last week after working my hives I stood under the tree to rest.  The whole tree was humming with bees.  There were thousands of bees working the blossoms!  It was so loud I could feel the vibrations from their humming.  I must have stood there for 20 minutes just listening and enjoying the experience.  Ahh, Spring!

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2008, 09:21:23 pm »
Annette ~>  will do  :-D  soon come.

Kimbrell ~> I love that sound & know exactly how you feel.  Blissful eh?   Thanks for the kind words re:pics.  Here's some more for today, May 1st ~ 63°F, some sun & a good "bee-day".

Neighbor's orchard, pasture & horse:

Dandelions are still tasty:

Driveway (cherry blossoms are blooming, too bad they're of no interest to the bees):

The terrace "wall of bees" is alive.

We need more nice days like this one here this (record cold temps) Spring!

Cheers,
Dane

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2008, 12:46:35 am »
Dane, nice pics!!!  I love how you took that shot of your hives on an angle, it was a very interesting perspective, beauties!!  Good luck with all your honey this year, I can't imagine how much you are going to get, beautiful!!!  Have the best of a wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service