Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hives placed up against chain mesh fencing & hives in full sun  (Read 3050 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Hives placed up against chain mesh fencing & hives in full sun
« on: October 23, 2010, 05:24:35 am »
Hi Everybody,

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with bees flying through chain mesh fencing? I need to move my hives and the most feasible location is facing out in to adjacent paddocks with the entrance close to chain mesh fencing (Due to access reasons this is the most feasible setup). By chain mesh i mean the large linked fences that are about 2m high. Has anyone ever done this before? did the chain mesh create any hassles for the bees?

Also, has anyone ever located their hives in full sun? If you had vented lids and we're able to put a stick under the lid in high temperatures would this be sufficient? would good access to water be imperative to their being able to keep the hive cool? any advice would be appreciated...

I have my hives at a friends place and up until recently there hadn't been any hassles but i have 12 hives now in an area that they walk through - the guy got buzzed the other day and now he's a bit nervous. He's asked me not to put anymore there until they're out of their walking path (fair enough and he's been kind enough to let me put my hives there)

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
Re: Hives placed up against chain mesh fencing & hives in full sun
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 05:58:54 am »
Have heard of people with neighbors putting hives near high walls so the bees fly up over the wall and above peoples heads. If they don't fly through the mesh I guess they'd fly over it.

I painted my lids white for the heat, and all the hives are ventilated on top. Full sun is fairly common. North facing is recommended. The bees will use a lot of water in hot weather.

Offline malachii

• New Bee
    • Bluegum Gold
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 07:05:31 am »
My hive is near a chaim mesh fence and the bees just go straight through the mesh.

malachii

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 10:02:28 am »
Full sun is supposed to be better for mite control. At least that is ehat I am hearing these days.

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 04:56:51 pm »
A bit of extra info, in this area we can get temperatures in the high 40's C with hot, very dry Northerlies.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 05:06:07 pm »
Full sun for SHB control, not mites.