Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Noob Beek Question - Are they going to swarm?  (Read 2759 times)

Offline Monster1970

• New Bee
Noob Beek Question - Are they going to swarm?
« on: November 20, 2011, 03:32:40 am »
Good Afternoon everyone,

Totally new Beek question I know, but I am worried about the behaviour of this hive. I captured it as a swarm on the 1st October and its been settling in nicely. Good brood pattern, the one super I put on it about three weeks ago with new foundation is now built out with approx the top 1/4 of the frame capped and the rest of frame with a good amount of honey.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I put a 2nd super on this morning, but am concerned about the number of bees hanging out the hive entrance in the afternoon. It is hot here in Brisbane now (getting towards 35/36 C the last week or so). Are these guys getting ready to swarm (so soon after only being captured a month ago), or just hanging out the front of the hive due to heat inside the hive and trying to keep things cool?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for taking the time to read and thanks for any advice given.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 08:55:34 am by buzzbee »
We have designed our civilization based on science and technology and at the same time arranged things so that almost no one understands anything at all about science and technology. This is a clear prescription for disaster.  

Carl Sagan.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Noob Beek Question - Are they going to swarm?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 03:52:44 am »
Bearding is what bees do when it's hot.  It does not mean they are, nor does it mean they are not going to swarm.  It usually means they are hot, but could also mean they are crowded.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#bearding
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Monster1970

• New Bee
Re: Noob Beek Question - Are they going to swarm?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 04:03:28 am »
Michael,

I did think it was normal bearding, however I have read that if they are experiencing heating causing bearding, they could swarm to reduce hive numbers. I did put a 2nd super on, so was hoping that this might provide more cooling space. Thanks for the info and the link!
We have designed our civilization based on science and technology and at the same time arranged things so that almost no one understands anything at all about science and technology. This is a clear prescription for disaster.  

Carl Sagan.

anything