Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee yard photos and lay out  (Read 109177 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Bee yard photos and lay out
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2007, 11:19:26 am »
Allan, wow, nice bee yard and you obviously have been working very hard to clear the land.  Excellent.  It looks really good.  What kind of vine is growing on the apiary fence?  It will give a wonderful wind break for the bees and if it has flowers that produce nectar that would be even better.  Why don't you grow some canary creeper vines along it too?  Good job, nice photos.  Best of a great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2007, 11:40:16 am »
Honeysuckle :) 

It's amazing how your view is changed when you decided to get some bees. I can now spot a tulip poplar from 50 yards. Around the bee yard we have several big red maples which should help in the late winter. They are blooming right now. We also have lots of American Holly, tons of wild bramble (blackberry) and lots of wild flower (roses). Our nectar source looks to be poplar, honeysuckle (I was going to give it to my goats but they are now out of luck), dogwood and some clover. 

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2007, 11:49:41 am »
I love the honeysuckle.  I have a very fragrant one that grows along my bedroom patio, it blooms almost all summer.  It has pink and cream coloured flowers, not the prettiest combination of colour, but man is it a fragrant thing of beauty.  YOu will be surprised what your bees will find to forage on.  Best of the days.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline dealhound

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2007, 01:53:46 am »
I was in Vermont recently for a vacation when we came upon these beehives beside the road.  There was about two foot of snow in this location and there had been many days when the temp at night was less than -20 degrees.  When I saw this I had to turn around and take this picture.  I am a new beekeeper in the much milder NC climate.  I guess if you can keep bees through the winter in these condtions, I should have no troubles!

Tim

« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 09:38:43 am by Robo »
Tim Martin

Offline Paul Andersen

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2007, 02:16:03 am »
Allanj,

Nice picture of your future bee yard, just make sure you keep that gate closed so your bees don't get loose!

Paul A
Paul

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2007, 07:30:21 am »
Tim, I was under the same impression.. but I understand that keeping bees in the middle states can sometimes be more difficult than the northern ones. In VA we had a huge warm up in January with over 70f temps some days and most of the month generally warm. This was followed by a freeze at the end of Jan and well into February. I think a few hives were lost around here because of that..

Paul, That last time I closed that gate it was to keep a Ram inside whilst we repaired some fencing. Lets just say it did not remain closed for long and only recently did I take the 17 pieces and put together that version of the gate :)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2007, 07:31:56 am »
dealhound, welcome to the site, nice pic with the hives in the snow, you should go to the  GREETINGS/TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF Forum and tell us a little about yourself..

Nice yard AllanJ
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2007, 11:15:59 am »
Tim, that was awesome that you turned around and took pics of the yard.  Pics are the best thing to see, it takes us to different parts of the world through the eyes of a camera.  I love to see pictures, bring em' on.  Good picture by the way.  Best of the great day.  Cindi

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2007, 07:43:05 pm »
Thanks to everyone who took the time to post pictures. My wife Ann {also a member here} and I are going to have three bee yards this year. The pictures with the electric fences REALLY caught my eye. Three of our hives are going to be behind our garage in Maine. There are bears in our town in Maine so an electric fence will be used there. Because the bee yard there will be near an outlet we won't be getting the solar charger. I was thinking about getting fence similar to Cindi's so as to keep out the skunks,racoons,as well as the bears. As soon as our two new bee yards are set up we'll post pictures of all three of them.
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline dealhound

• New Bee
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2007, 02:41:38 am »
dealhound, welcome to the site, nice pic with the hives in the snow, you should go to the  GREETINGS/TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF Forum and tell us a little about yourself..

Done!  Thanks for the suggestion.

Tim
Tim Martin

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2007, 07:38:44 am »

THIS IS ONE OF MY BEE YARDS SET UP FOR MASS FEEDING AND SPRING BUILD UP. cHARLIE

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2007, 10:34:31 am »
Charlie, a really nice picture and it looks really great.

I want you to try something when you post pictures to the forum though.  I presume that you are using Imageshack.  If you do what I say, then the pictures that you post will be much larger for the forum members to look at and this is good.  I believe that you used the url that showed up in Imageshack above the picture, this copies them into a thumnail format.  Try this method instead next time (if you don't mind some friendly advice, that is):

Above your picture you will see several links to forum 1 or 2 etc, ignore these.
Below your picture you will see two lines regarding the posting to forum 1 and forum 2
You want to select the first line
"hotlinks to forum 1", highlight the line, it will turn blue
Click on it, then do the right click to copy the picture

We will see your pictures in a much clearer format.  Give it a whirl.  Bring on some more pictures, we all love to see them. You have the best of the best day.  Cindi

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2007, 11:48:02 am »
 Cindi;  If you want the picture larger just click on it . It works for me. Charlie

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2007, 11:50:44 am »
then the pictures that you post will be much larger for the forum members to look at and this is good. 

Actually it is not.  We have many members that have slow dial-up access and large pictures basically cripple them.   Thumbnail size images help reduce this issue. Too many posts with large images will cause excessive pain to these people to the point they may choose not to visit this site anymore.   That would be a shame and potentially stifle the amount of info that is shared.   Keep in mind,  Michael Bush is one of these people.

This is why the image shack tutorial http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=6691.0  was written to use thumbnails.

The added time it takes those with fast connections to click on the thumbnail to view a larger version is trivial compared to the pain full size images cause those stuck with slow dial-up.

Please don't keep encouraging people to post full size images.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2007, 10:15:22 am »
Rob, I am so glad that you took the time to explain your comments about the thumbnails.  I had absolutely no clue that there would be any problem for any viewers with the larger photographs.  This bothers me that I did not know that and I deeply apologize to any forum members that may be frustrated that they do not have the capacity to view any pictures posted on the forum.

Ignorance is not bliss, as the saying says that it is.  I have been giving misleading information to many forum members that were asking how to post pictures into their posts and I must give again my apology.  I will post in the "thumbnail" format henceforth so that everyone can view pictures with ease and comfort.  I guess I just get spoiled with internet technology and don't realize that some people do not have the fast high-tec device that I have.  I once upon a time had dial up too, so I understand it can be a very huge process.  Sorry to all. 

Have the best of a wonderful day.  Cindi

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2007, 05:20:01 pm »
Finally finished my bee yard.  No hive yet either.  It's on it's way in the mail.  Cant wait!!!

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2007, 08:48:09 am »
If you take the time to resize photos you can post 'full size' .jpgs that are quite quick to load.  The problem is many people upload their photos to photo sites without resizing them at all.  So I guess it's better to advise the use of thumbnails (I dislike having to click on them to view them fullsize, but I do see the logic). 

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2007, 09:12:07 am »
If you take the time to resize photos you can post 'full size' .jpgs that are quite quick to load.  The problem is many people upload their photos to photo sites without resizing them at all. 

That is true,  but we have a fair amount of people that are relatively unexperienced with a computer and don't have the knowledge or means to resize.  We installed the ImageShack option for those who don't have a normal place to park their photos out on the web and are more likely those with limited PC experience.  We truly value their contribution, but want to also keep those with limited bandwidth in mind too, that is why the instructions direct to use thumbnails.   We do not have any rules about not posting resized images if one knows how to.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2007, 09:29:38 am »
My bee yard is on my deck right behind my sunporch:

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2007, 10:51:25 am »
Looks like a great set up and a nice way to enjoy your bees.