Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What is wrong with my bees? Or is it nothing.  (Read 4443 times)

Offline njoylife10

• House Bee
What is wrong with my bees? Or is it nothing.
« on: March 07, 2011, 03:37:33 pm »
The last couple of days have been nice out and they have been bringing in pollen and robbing out some honey that I had frozen from the fall and just processed. Last night as it was getting quite chilly out, I noticed that there were about 50 bees in various spots on the porch and stand of the hive.  It was way too cold for anyone to be out, just above freezing.  Today it is still quite chilly 40 degrees and there are a few more than last night barely alive, but hanging out outside the hive.  Why are they doing this?

I can't get in the hive till Thursday or Friday to check it out.  When I do, what should I be looking for?

njoylife10

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
Re: What is wrong with my bees? Or is it nothing.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 04:12:14 pm »
My hives do this as well. I doesn't necessarily mean they are sick when bees get old they want to leave the hive and die i get a few now and then that dont go back into the hive and die on the outside.  It doesn't mean yours arent sick but if its a few bees and they arent crawling all over the ground in front of the hive i personally wouldnt bee to concerned maybe im wrong.

Offline skatesailor

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 08:32:12 pm »
I was doing an external check of my hives the other day and I noticed a couple of bees on the landing board, alive but lethargic.  I coaxed them back inside only to have them come back out repeatedly. Some things just want to die. Don't loose sleep about it.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 09:02:34 pm »
when it warms up and you do check your hive, you'll probably find 100's of dead bees on the bottom board.  those  didn't make out out the door  ;)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 11:32:03 pm »
In warm weather used up bees will be seen crawling away from the hive, usually southwesterly, they will travel from a few feet to a hundred yards or more.  They are going off to die, having worn out their wings.  In cold weather old bees will crawl outside the hive where they become chilled and can't go further, so the dead bees mound up near the entrance to the hive, or in many cases just fall from the cluster onto the bottom boards.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 08:55:06 am »
In warm weather used up bees will be seen crawling away from the hive, usually southwesterly, they will travel from a few feet to a hundred yards or more.  They are going off to die,

Any reason why they choose southwest ?

Offline agrimm01

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 10:57:09 am »
RE:   Any reason why they choose southwest ?

No baggage fee!!   :)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 09:58:10 pm »
In warm weather used up bees will be seen crawling away from the hive, usually southwesterly, they will travel from a few feet to a hundred yards or more.  They are going off to die,

Any reason why they choose southwest ?

In the Northern Hemisphere it is the direction of the setting sun.  Thus, one can deduce that the bees would crawl northwest in the Southern Hemisphere.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline georgie

• Brood
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 05:58:55 pm »
RE:   Any reason why they choose southwest ?

No baggage fee!!   :)

LOL!!! With the heavy pollen, those fees could really add up.